Pages

Monday, October 2, 2023

Carry On Only

When planning our trip Down Under one of my plans was to travel as lightly as possible, which meant taking only a carry-on and backpack for a four-week trip. Telling people this ahead of time was met with some confusion, some how-do-you-do-that comments, and some I could-never-do-that comments. 

This plan was contingent upon washing smaller items in our hotel sink, and having them dry over night. Every few days we planned on using the hotel's washing machine. At the three week mark we were staying with friends and requested use of their washer and dryer. I realize that plan is not everyone's idea of a vacation. It is not my idea of a vacation to schlep big luggage and worry about it not making the flight.

Trade-offs.

The challenge for this trip was we went from early spring to summer climates. 

My clothing packing list:

  • Four long-sleeved shirts (wore one on the plane)
  • Four t-shirts
  • Two pairs of jeans (one worn on the plane)
  • A pair of capris
  • A pair of leggings
  • A pair of shorts
  • Two short dresses
  • Two pairs of white socks
  • Three pairs of black socks
  • A rain coat (worn on plane)
  • A small black sweater
  • A light sweatshirt
  • A heavy grey sweater (worn on the plane)
  • Two bikinis (one would have been enough)
  • Underwear for 6 days (one worn on plane)
  • Three bras
  • Tank top (worn on plane)
  • Two pairs of sandals
  • A pair of flats
  • A pair of clogs (thrown out halfway because they were worn out and heavy)
  • A pair of sneakers
  • Top and leggings to sleep in that could have been worn in public if needed
  • Two Rip Skirts
  • A pair of shorts to be worn under short skirts

Non-clothing items:
  • A string for hanging laundry (struggled to find places to clip it)
  • A thin blanket (I'm always cold when I sleep)
  • Laundry detergent (threw out extra at end of trip)
  • Small toiletries (mostly used free hotel ones)
  • Bar of soap (hotels aren't providing bars as much as they used to)
  • A few emergency granola bars
  • A towel (used twice, not as quick dry as advertised, heavier than expected)
  • An underwater camera
  • My DLSM camera
  • Cell phone
  • Chargers for camera, cell phone, tooth brush
  • Outlet strip
  • Electric converter
  • Electric Toothbrush
  • A book (planned to swap at Little Free Libraries, but they were rare)
  • Gloves
  • Scarf
  • Ear muff
  • Baseball cap
  • Two pairs of earrings (one worn on the plane)
  • My purse with wallet
  • Passports
  • A notebook filled with copies of trip RSVPs (as we did things, I threw out pages to lighten the load)
  • A composition book for trip notes -- both before and during
  • Two crossword puzzle books for the flights
  • A pen
  • A sack to wear under my top with money
  • Some American cash
  • Two credit cards (one in sack)
  • Thermos (not really needed, though Don used his every day)
  • Extra tea bags
Unlike in Italy, there was nothing I wished I had brought that I left at home. In Italy I wanted my cozy grey sweater and another sweatshirt because I was cold in April.

Things not needed in the end:
  • Second bikini
  • Scarf
  • Mittens
Unlike on other trips, I used everything I brought multiple times.

I would do it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment