Pages

Saturday, October 14, 2023

Gwen's Side of the Story (a.k.a. the glasses)

By now you've read Her side of the story, you know the one who "lost" me. Her. She doesn't bother to call me Gwen, only "my glasses" so I don't see any need to call her anything other than Her. 

So there!

Back in fall, or was it spring? Hard to tell with the nice weather even though it was September, Her and I were having dinner in a trolley car. It was probably the most fun adventure I have ever had. Her, though, kept taking me off and putting me on. Her could not figure out where to put me on the tiny table. Her did not want to be seen in any pictures, but I did end up in this one! 

After dinner we walked around the big building where the trolleys are stored. It was so much fun! But Her kept taking me off and putting me on when it suited Her. It was so annoying! How did Her expect me to see what was happening!

Her dropped me once, but picked me up right away.

Her continued the dropping and picking me up. I was getting a little dizzy. I just wanted to see the Ladies as the nice conductor kept referring to them. So, when I saw my chance, I stayed hidden in one of the trolleys.

The next day was probably my favorite day of my life, but also the scariest! I went all over town. I saw more people than ever. They were so friendly. Not one of them stepped on me. One kid put me on, but then his grown up told him to leave me alone, that I belonged to someone else. Harrumph! I liked the kid. He had imagination and a sparkle.

That night after they put me away someone who worked there noticed me for the first time. They picked me up and put me on a table. Then they turned off the lights. 

It was dark and I was alone.

Suddenly I wanted the adventure to be over and return to Her. Her might not have taken the best care of me, or even seemed to like me, but Her was where I belonged.

The next day I was carried gingerly across the street to meet more people. It wasn't a long walk. I did see the sunshine.

The nice woman in the office was so excited to see me! She sent Her an email letting Her know I was safe! She thought she would make Her happy! Instead Her was not happy. Her had moved on without me to another country. To new adventures. I wasn't gone that long!

I convinced this nice Lady I would rather hang out with her than be reunited with Her. I must have been convincing because I stayed in the office a few more days. I heard lots of people with different accents come in and ask about things to do in Christchurch. 

I wish I could have stayed there forever.

A few days later came the rough part of my adventures. They dared to put me in a dark box. I don't like to think about these days as I spent a lot of time bouncing about. I don't know where I was. Every so often I could hear some voices -- Excitement, "they are finally here!" which changed to annoyance, "Well, I guess I better take them to the post office so Jacquie can see again."

I knew that meant I would be put in another box and bounced about for more days. I remembered flying over with Her, and that took f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Being in the dark the whole time, though, I felt was much longer. Maybe it was because it was so dark? I tried to rest, but I was worried. Would Her like me? Did Her replace me already? 

Her was happy to see me! Her wore me everywhere for a couple of weeks. Then Her went to the eye doctor. He told Her that Her's prescription had changed and she needed new glasses. Her was excited picking out new frames. When they came in a week later, Her started wearing them all the time and put me in a hidden spot in Her's car. 

Sorry there aren't any pictures. Her likes to take pictures, but I don't have a camera of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment