Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2022

Gift Giving Talent

The day before Winter Break a coworker left a small gift for me -- some cozy socks and Burt's Bees Lip Balm. It became the most thoughtful gift I received.

This is our third Christmas working together. We have never exchanged gifts in the past. I had no expectation she would give me anything. In fact, I was filled with guilt when I saw the present. "It's too late to reciprocate," I thought. She assured me it was a small token.

I opened the gift at home and was thrilled with the contents. The socks have kept me warm at home, and the lip balm has helped my dry lips (made extra dry by wearing a mask). The gifts were both thoughtful and practical.

In the weeks that followed (yes, I can obsess sometimes) I thought about things I do for her throughout the year without thinking about her reciprocating. During blueberry season I bring her pints of blueberries. During eggplant season I bring her eggplants because her husband likes to make (and eat) eggplant parmesan. Daily I ask her if she has mail so I can drop it in the mailbox for her. The same with picking up her folder at work.

I guess the socks and lip balm were her way of saying she notices the little things I do everyday for her and that she appreciates them. 

Appreciates me.

Accept the present and say "thank you." No more is needed.




No comments:

Post a Comment