Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Christmas: Nailed it!

 


One of the concerns I had about hosting an exchange student for an entire year was "what should I do about Christmas?" Realistically, we don't spend a lot on each other at Christmas. But still, how much should I spend on someone living with us? What should I get for someone I barely know? (Which is odd because I don't remember a thing about celebrating Christmas with my Belgian host family.)

With Don and Ashley I've given in to the fact that they do not like surprises. They are much happier choosing something for themselves and handing me the bill. I prefer surprises, but at the same time, I don't like gifts for the sake of giving something I prefer something thoughtful. I know that probably doesn't make any sense. What can I say, I'm still trying to figure life out myself.

A few days before Christmas Ashley asked me what I bought for our student. I told her I had a few things picked out. She then asked me why I didn't I ask what he wanted. I could have done that, but I went with my instincts.


Guess what? My instincts were right. He likes clothes and snack food. He dresses mostly in white, grey, and black clothes. So I bought him a grey Lawrenceville High School t-shirt, two black sweatshirts, and black socks. I think his favorite gift was an ornament I had made for him that has our town on the front, and the exact coordinates of our house on the back. A little something to take home with him to remind him of our home. 

I filled everyone's stockings with snack foods they like (all bought at Lidl). They laughed while opening their stockings, and greatly appreciated the gesture.


For Ashley I asked her if she wanted a standing mixer because a friend was selling one because she was closing her bakery. She said yes. Don found a few other items for her (mostly "Friends" and Bob Ross related). I still think the stocking was the biggest hit. The laughter was increased when I mixed their stockings and they then swapped for what they preferred (the stuff in the stocking that was supposed to go to them in the first place) plus keeping some of the items from the "wrong" stocking. It was good to hear laughter.





No comments:

Post a Comment