Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Teachable Moment

Teenage daughter and I are talking about how I don't let her do what she wants to do. How judgmental I am. How her friends and strangers support her decision to shave her head for fun, but I don't.

Enter Mimi, the one-eyed kitten.

Mimi's favorite game is chasing our 7-year old princess cat and encouraging Lucy to play.

Mimi's second favorite game is staring at the squirrels in the backyard and flicking her tail at them.

Ashley dislikes both of those games.

Ashley would prefer Mimi to sit on her lap and calmly be scratched.

That's not what Mimi wanted to do at that moment (though sometimes she enjoys it).

I asked Ashley: Now, who is sounding judgmental? Who is trying to control someone else?

She got the message I could not convey by talking about the two of us. She saw her role with Mimi being the same as my role with Ashley. 

Hopefully, she also knows I don't hate her, I just want what I feel is best, which might not be what is really best.

I'm so confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment