This year my birthday fell on a Sunday. The birthday itself felt like a bit of a boo hoo day. Nothing bad, but really nothing special happened.
I recently read an Instagram story where the husband asks the wife what she wants for her birthday. She says nothing, and he takes her at her word. What she meant was she still wanted to feel special, but did not want to spend a lot of money to make that happen. Make it so she is not in charge of fixing dinner that night, have the kids make a homemade card, be a little extra nice. Make the day feel less like every other day.
That's how I felt this year.
I suggested a walk on the Asbury Park/Ocean Grove boardwalk. That morning I added in a trip to the new Bruce Springsteen Center for American Music. I also suggested lunch at the Starving Artist in Ocean Grove because I knew the longer day would make us both peckish.
All to be capped off with dinner with mom at her house which would be a little sad because it is the first one without dad being there, too. The first one with a card signed Love, mom, and not Love, mom and MNG. MNG stood for Mr. Nice Guy, one of dad's many nicknames.
What I wanted was for Don to call and make a lunch reservation so we didn't lose 30 minutes waiting for a table. I wanted the earrings he bought for me that are two weeks later are still sitting in a gift bag on the kitchen table (I picked them out a week earlier, he wants to swap the backs for the ladderbacks I prefer). I wanted him to pay for lunch, instead I paid half of it because the place prefers cash. Don has not paid me back. His response when I made a comment was "I could have charged it." That's besides the point.
In the end, I didn't feel special on my special day.The birthday greetings on Facebook, texts, and emails were lovely, but the wishes to have the best birthday ever sets the bar a little high.
No comments:
Post a Comment