Pages

Monday, July 29, 2024

Blacksmithing at Howell Living History Farm

I also wanted Larry Kidder's
book about Chester

A few weeks ago I went to Howell Living History Farm to learn more about blacksmithing. As the air seemed to be as hot as the furnace our expert was using, and I did not make notes, this will turn into more of a post filled with pictures than usual. I brought my DSLR camera to practice taking pictures. Our blacksmith was terrific. He did not seem uncomfortable by either the 95 degree early evening, or the much hotter mini-furnace. He said he is used to it. Thankfully I did see him keeping hydrated.

I did not catch his name. When Pete came up to me he said he remembers the blacksmith meeting the former blacksmith when he was about seven. Twenty (or so) years later he relishes teaching the next generation about his trade. He works at Howell in other ways, plus does modern blacksmithing in Trenton as well as historic blacksmithing in the area. He owns many tools, and is constantly collecting more. 

He started with the basics. Showed us how he makes a nail. Each piece after that one was progressively more complicated. I left after he made a snake from rebar. It really was too hot to stand near an open flame.

On the trip back in a golf cart Pete, also a teacher, paused to grab a couple of pieces of wheat by the side of the road. He showed me how to separate the wheat from the chaff by blowing on it. 










I admire both of them for taking what could be an ordinary situation and making it educational in a fun way. It is a skill. I would have simply taken us back to the parking lot and been happy for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment