Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2022

MusikFest 2022

Last year Don and I returned to MusikFest for the first time in many years. I left feeling down. The magic we used to feel was gone. The Red Elvises were now Igor and the Red Elvises, a fraction of their old selves. I was actually surprised when Don suggested we return. Even more surprised when he suggested we stick around for The Red Elvises, even though we were there on a Sunday night and had work the next morning. 

We had a later start than planned and missed the Unicycling Unicorn. I was more interested in seeing him than Don was, but I thought Don would be more interested in seeing him.

I could tell we really weren't into festing when our first stop was the running store. I ended up buying bouncy new sneakers with the hope they will get me excited about running again. (Spoiler: I've taken them out twice and they have not yet worked their magic, will keep trying.) I was impressed the salesman really seemed to listen to me. He did some free diagnostics on my feet, which gave him data to support what I had said, and then chose a few decent pairs of sneakers. I ended up buying ones Katie, a running friend, loves. May they eventually work their magic on me.

MusikFest has a wonderful app that allowed me to map out who was playing where and at what time and how to find them and what to expect when I do find them. Made me wonder how we managed to find great music in the 1990s without it when all we could do was open our ears and listen.

After putting my new sneakers in the car we went to hear Emily Drinker: a singer who blends folk, pop, and rock with a high-energy band. I enjoyed her so much I joined her email list, and hope to find her again. She is from the Philadelphia area.

After her set nothing was catching our interest, and it was too early for dinner, so we got some ice cream from the Penn State Creamery on Main Street.


Across the street from the ice cream parlor Acute Inflections was getting ready for their set. They ar a jazz duo who clearly has a lot of fun playing with each other. We listened for a little while, but were not really getting into their music. That happens sometimes.

We decided it was late enough to get dinner. As we were walking down Main Street we were surprised (and pleased) to see the Unicycling Unicorn. He had drawn quite a crowd on Main Street in what felt like a pop up performance. A couple of times he alluded that he wasn't quite feeling the performance and was nervous about getting on top of a 12-foot unicycle and juggle, but I thought that was just part of his routine and dismissed it. Then I started to follow him on Facebook. He really was having a rough week and it is quite impressive he did not fall off of the unicyle. I smiled through his show and was very glad we were able to see it.

Festing was looking up. We had a lovely dinner at Fegley's on Main Street, a place that has consistently served us good food. This is important to me because for years I would have awful gastrointestinal reactions no matter where I ate in Bethlehem. We loved the city, and even thought about moving there, but every year I would get sick. I finally stopped drinking the water and stopped having an issue. Ice cubes didn't bother me, but we tried a new place each year and had an issue. It allows me to enjoy the city, which matters.


After dinner we heard The Chiclettes, a girl band playing music from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. The music was familiar and fun, but it was getting late and we wanted to at least give Igor and the Red Elvises a try.

I'm so glad we did. Last year we were disappointed when only three songs into their set they started playing covers and did not return to their quirky rock and roll style we loved. On this Sunday night, the third song was a cover ("Venus") I turned to Don in disappointment and he said to give them another chance. Meanwhile, we kept moving away from cigar smoke followed by marijuana aromas. We sat back from the tent and bopped to their music (too loud inside the tent, and the rain was holding off). 

An hour later when they took their break, we regretfully left to go home. We had

a good time. While we are not familiar with their new music, it had their distinct "Siberian Surf Rock" flavor.

Maybe it is possible to go back after all. 

Maybe life is looking up post-pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment