Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Facing a Fear

For reasons I could not explain (even to myself) I have been afraid of using an electric toothbrush. 

Afraid to the point of not using one even though hygienists have been telling me for years I need to use one. 

Afraid to the point that even after finally buying one (the last person said -- any one is better than none) it sat in the box on my bathroom counter for over a month. 

Afraid to the point that when I did take it out of the box, it sat in the charger for another week (even though the instructions said it might need 24 hours to charge).

So what happened once I was brave enough to try it?

I found I liked it. It is a bit like a mouth massage. My teeth feel cleaner. I feel a little virtuous using it. Unlike my regular toothbrush, I don't gag using it. I was able to think through my fear. 

Why was I afraid to use it?

One hygienist said many people don't like the noise.

My husband said he can't handle the noise first thing in the morning.

Another hygienist said I wouldn't like how much the toothpaste foams in my mouth.

I built up a fear that turned out to be nothing scary.

If only I could apply the electric toothbrush example to other places in my life I perceive to be scary and not worth the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment