Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2021

What a week! Taking time for a Pause

This morning I woke up tired with no wish to do anything other than read the latest Louise Penny book ("The Madness of Crowds") and organize photos. To just take a pause before I turn 52 tomorrow. An odd reaction from me because today we had planned to take our new son into NYC to walk around. I was looking forward to going into NYC, but it would have been our third Sunday in four weeks -- a bit much by my standards.

Instead when I woke up I said to Don he and Yoran could go to NYC and leave me home alone. I was really hoping they would take me up on it. Had I not fallen out of the habit of praying, I would have been praying for them to go into NYC without me and leave me home alone.

Instead of going into NYC, Don is riding his bike and Yoran is chatting with his friends back home. 

Let me backtrack to the past week. 

Friday, August 27 Ashley returned to campus.

Saturday, August 28 Don went into Philadelphia for a group bike ride and I was home alone for the first time in ages. Leading up to this, we combined our offices and prepared Yoran's room. Then we cleaned the basement so there is another teen hang out space.



Sunday, August 29 we went into NYC to celebrate my birthday early while we attended the Van Gogh virtual exhibit.

Monday, August 30 we picked Yoran up from the airport.



Tuesday, August 31 we had a quiet day for Yoran to adjust, but Don and I both worked. After work Yoran and I went grocery shopping so I could learn what he likes to eat.

Wednesday, September 1 Yoran had to take an ESL test -- which he passed with flying colors. Don took him. Again, we both worked. That night we had a tornado in town, and FaceTimed Ashley so she could finally meet him.

Thursday, September 2 Yoran and I went back to the high school for class selection. Again, we both worked. After work Yoran asked to go to the high school football game. Of course I said yes.

Friday, September 3 Don and I took the tandem out for a spin. More errands. A visit with a friend. I also went for a run for the first time in ages.

Saturday, September 4 MORNING: the


three of us had our post-arrival YFU site visit. Learning YFU's expectations for host parents is exhausting ... monthly check-ins, three meetings a year on a date they select, community day (for Yoran). At the meeting we were told to apply by January if we want an exchange student next year -- let's survive this year first! AFTERNOON: Nephew Hayden and friends, and neighbors Noam and Ashley came over to meet him. (As Don put it, a chance for me to have that graduation party Ashley wouldn't let me host for her.) EVENING: We drove to Ocean Grove to watch the sun set and walk the boardwalk.

Tomorrow is my birthday. I have hardly heard from Ashley -- which is both good and not good. I'd love to have a real conversation with her.

No wonder by Sunday I was feeling tired. The cloudy weather is not helping.

Yoran is a perfect exchange student. He hails from Belgium (where I spent a gap year) so when he talks about life in Belgium, I can picture it. His English is amazing -- years of schooling, and the availability of American TV and movies shown in their original language have helped. He has a great sense of humor. Best (for me) his parents raised him well so he helps around the house -- cleans up after himself and after us. Part of why I could press on so many days in a row was because he helps and I don't feel like it is all on me. May he not gain bad habits from the rest of us! The dinner table is clean before we eat, his shoes are always away. He is very pleasant. I try to remember being 18 in a foreign country and being exhausted because I had to translate everything into English and back out again. Again, his English is much stronger than my French has ever been and he is still on week 1.

Meanwhile, a couple of moments of note:

1) I nearly teared up with the security guard handed him my pass and said "give this to your mom," and he did.

2) By Wednesday he was already calling our house "home." I'm glad he feels comfortable here.

3) I wasn't prepared to enter "boy's land." The house is already starting to smell like a locker room and food has shifted towards meat and potatoes. An adjustment I hadn't anticipated.

Tomorrow I start another lap around the planet. A time for reflection on the past year, and a chance to dream about the new one. What will this year be like? The biggest question is, will COVID be enough in the past we can enjoy living without guilt. Ashley will be halfway through college. Will I travel out of the country? We can't with Yoran (YFU rules) but I could alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment