Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2021

Let's Gogh to Van Gogh!

Months ago I bought tickets for Don and I to celebrate my birthday in New York City at the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit at Pier 36. A couple of weeks before my birthday the organization reached out to let me know my tickets would have to be changed because they no longer had permission to use that building. Fortunately the rescheduled date fit on our calendar, so we went on August 29 instead.

There is a longer version to the story that involves buying tickets to a similar (though in my opinion not as good) virtual reality show in Philadelphia called Van Gogh: the Immersive Experience. I asked for a refund and was granted it. With so many artists, why have two shows about the same artist and use words that are nearly identical?

When I first heard about the Immersive Van Gogh we thought this would be our first big outing to New York City since COVID, that was long before we knew we would be seeing a show on Broadway. It was still a fun outing. Based on fond memories of seeing Klimt at Ateliers des Lumieres in Paris in 2018, I really wanted to see Van Gogh in New York City.

It was basically a similar experience -- images of art work projected on enormous walls and floors so you actually feel as if you are a part of the experience.

Other than the artist, there were differences.

1) The show in Paris was about $17, the one in NYC was $50.

2) The show in Paris was only in one room, this was the same show in four rooms.

3) Paris was far more crowded (it was pre-COVID).

4) The show in Paris was nearly an hour then it repeated. The one in New York was about 15 minutes before repeating.

The one in Paris will always feel more special to me, partially because it was the first time I saw something like that.

Back to New York. We knew it was at Pier 36, but thought it was on the same side of the Island as Little Island's Pier 55. Ooops. They were an hour apart on foot, or 35 minutes apart by mass transit (we walked). Fortunately (for once) we were early. Even after stopping for lunch, we were early enough to enter at the beginning of our window.

As I stated earlier, the exhibit was in four rooms. Walking from room to room it became less crowded. My favorite was the third room because the projection was also on the floor -- making you really feel as if you are in it. After that we walked up a flight of stairs to watch from above (which felt like a fourth room).

Everyone wore masks and there was plenty of space to spread out and enjoy the experience.

Here are some images:
















After Van Gogh we hiked back to the other side for dinner at Pastis, site of where we had an incredible spur of the moment birthday lunch last year. This time I made a reservation the night before, so we had the odd 4:45 time slot. We dressed a little nicer and dined inside. It was fun -- again, the closest I will get to Paris for a while. I had a simple omelet, and chocolate mousse for dessert. Don said this is turning into an annual tradition, if so, next year I want to go earlier so I can have the quiche again. It is rare for me to drool after the memory of a meal, but, alas, I do. The quiche is on their brunch menu. The two women near me sang "Happy Birthday," and waiter added a candle to my dish. I felt loved and special, which is important.

We walked around the High Line and enjoyed the beautiful weather knowing it might be our last date night until Yoran becomes settled -- which I hope is soon for all of our sakes! Great guy, but I'm not used to setting up playdates and driving a teen where they need to go, or having to keep track of a school calendar and how someone is doing with their classes.

Stay tuned for more updates about our year playing tourist in our own backyard.



No comments:

Post a Comment