Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2021

Archaeology at the Cornelius Low House

The real reason I keep up with my membership in the Archaeology Society of New Jersey is the opportunity to go on a volunteer dig once a year. It seems, like with much else, the ASNJ is figuring out how to safely host a dig.

This year we could sign up for 90 minute slots at the 1741 Cornelius Low House, next to the stadium at Rutgers University. As the slots were filled before I got around to doing it, I emailed them and they said come anyway. 


We only had two 4x4 pits -- and the two pits were far away from each other so as to feel as if we were the only ones out there digging. We wore masks, eve though we were outside. Only two people in each pit at a time. (The tent was a last minute addition as the sun was beating stronger than expected, and someone had a tent in their trunk. They planned to bring a second one the next day for the pit I worked in.)





I dug for a while, then moved over to sifting so the stronger arms could move more dirt. Mike uncovered:


Last I heard they were still trying to identify it.

I found a rather large tooth while sifting:

I ended up staying later than my shift, and enjoying every minute. The day was deceptively warm with a breeze that was welcomed whenever it came by. Sunshine is wonderful, but temps in the mid-70s are not typical for the end of September. 

I was invited back the next day, but as we had plans with cousins Helen and Paul, it didn't work out. Yup, life is getting busy again.








No comments:

Post a Comment