Pages

Saturday, January 4, 2020

New Year's Day 5K Race

There is always something virtuous about starting the New Year with running. In 2016 I ran the Hamilton Hangover, a 5-mile race through Veterans Park in Hamilton, NJ. I remember running that race twice, but I'm only seeing one blogpost. I enjoyed the race, but it was discontinued.

Friends, such as Sandra, have raved about Hillsborough's 5k race, starting at the civilized hour of 11 am. At first I didn't do it because Hamilton's was closer. Then I didn't do it because I forgot about it until I heard the slots filled up.

This year I made a point of doing it. Everyone raved about the race being worth doing for the hoodies alone. This year they switched things up and we were given really nice running zip up sweatshirts instead. Probably something I'll use more often. (Don is wearing his in this picture.)

After all that, I did not bump into Sandra. I later heard running octogenarian Betty was at the race, but did not see her, either. I did bump into Pastor Jeff, who I did not recognize in running gear, and a woman whose daughter was in a play at Somerset Valley Players with Ashley. Don did the race, too, but thought he would walk it since his back was bothering him.

The race itself was a fabulous local race, the kind I wish they did more often in Lawrenceville. The kind where every runner and walker in town bumps into a bunch of friends. We started at the municipal building and did a loop around the building before crossing the finish line and doing a larger loop through the neighborhood. The course was flat. People came out of their homes to cheer on their friends and families. 

I can't complain about the race, I only wish it was in Lawrenceville and I bumped into more people I know. It was very well organized with lots of volunteers and an indoor space to hang in, and with indoor plumbing. The swag is nice -- even included a $20 off coupon to Princeton Running Company. People were very friendly. Don left saying he wanted to do it again next year. We'll see.



1 comment: