Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Winter Running

A couple of Christmases ago I received a pair of Yaktrax as a present. I have taken the Yaktrax out for hikes in Mercer Meadows, but until this weekend, I had not attached them to my sneakers.

With 23 inches of snow on the ground, and a nice sunny day with minimal winds I decided it was time to try running with the Yaktrax. You might say this was an other experience with leaving my comfort zone.

I stuck to the newly plowed, yet still icy-patched road. I run past people still shoveling (thanks to Don and the wovel, plus me and the shovel our driveway and sidewalk were done). I waved and pointed to my yaktrax. It felt so good to get outside and run. Though not my fastest time, it was one of my happiest runs. I came home smiling.

The next day I went out again, this time without the yaktrax as the snow had melted somewhat. It was still nice to be able to run with the snow melting around me.

I am glad I am able to run. Knock on wood, other than falling during a race, I have stayed injury free, too. I am getting faster, but until others in my age group stop running, I will not win any awards for speed. I do it because I like it.

PS: we recently learned the wovel was invented by someone who grew up in Mercer County, a friend of a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment