Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2022

We knew it would happen ... COVID

Throughout this COVID-19 journey I have been among the first to receive my vaccine and booster shots, including receiving shot #5 only six weeks ago. I thought I was doing enough to keep it at bay. Perhaps I was, since it took this long for me to test positively.

The weekend before leaving for Barcelona Ashley came home for Fall Break. Two days after returning to school she called home to say she tested positive for COVID. Like us, she was fully vaccinated. 

We studied every twinge, every possible symptom and decided to move forward with our plans to go to Spain. While in Spain we walked about 30,000 steps a day and enjoyed life. The day of the return flight Don had a runny nose. I felt so great I was doing laps in the airport in an attempt to wear myself out for the flight. Once we came home I took my usual post international flight nap, but couldn't find the energy to walk the last 2,500 steps needed to reach 10,000 steps that day. I figured I'd feel better the next day.

When Don woke up feeling worse, we knew we should test for COVID. He was positive. I took the test, too, because by then my nose was dripping. The souvenir no one really wants.

All along I knew it was a matter of WHEN we caught COVID, not IF. My wish was it would be at a time when it was not going to disrupt my life too much. I go lucky in that sense -- our post vacation plans were minimal. I was given permission to just rest for a few days.

Don and I seem to take turns on who feels better. He is napping while I am watching Netflix and blogging. I suspect later I'll need a nap and he'll be the one doing something productive.

Instead of averaging 30,000 steps a day, I'm averaging 1,500 steps a day. I look forward to feeling stronger, but trying to embrace this is where I am right now.



Update: it took me two weeks before I was testing negative again. Don didn't bother to test. Day 9 we went to Muhlenberg to see Ashley Deck Stage Manage "Three Penny Opera." It was a three-hour show. We were so glad to only have to drive across town to a hotel as the next day we were back again to enjoy Family Weekend. We clearly were not feeling as well as we wanted to since by 3 pm we drove home and didn't do much the rest of the day.

Grateful for the vaccines, though frustrated we received our most recent booster only 6 weeks earlier and it did not stop us from getting COVID. At no point did we feel the need to go to the hospital. For the most part we felt well enough to drive for curbside pick up. Don did take a few days off from work. I was not scheduled to work on the days I was the most tired, which helped. When I did return, I was still working from home and able to stay away from others (which they appreciated). 

It lingers. I've run a few times since catching COVID, but I've also noticed I'm less restless and more content to sit on the couch with a book than go out and DO SOMETHING. 

The best advice for those who have not had it, is to continue to avoid it. Barring that, take it easy and listen to your body.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment