Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2018

American Church in Paris

My trip to Paris leading up to the Disneyland Half Marathon was very open. Last year I carved out time to see where I lived as an exchange student in the Fall of 1990. The year before I spent time on the campus of Paris VIII. This year I decided to spend some time at the church where I attended worship and played in the bell choir. The Paris tourist bureau will never ask me for sightseeing suggestions based on my past trips.

The American Church in Paris was a little home away from home for me. I was there most Sundays for worship, and mid-week for bell choir practice. Sundays after worship they hosted a dinner that was cheap even by student standards, the meals were both filling for the body and soul. It took me nearly an hour by train, metro, and 10-minute walk, but worth it. I was pleased to see the night I landed they were hosting a rare evening dinner and discussion. As a college student, I would not have enjoyed the discussion, but as an adult I found it fascinating.

The topic for the Wednesday night Thurber Lecture Series dinner and discussion was Renewing the Church. Dr. Brenda Salter McNeil flew in from Seattle, Washington with her husband Dr. J. Derek McNeil, also a preacher, to lead the discussion on reconciliation with the church.

We were all handed slips on paper on which we were to jot questions in order to ask questions on the end. Many people, myself included, used the slips of paper to write notes. She was so fascinating, I didn't want to lose the thoughts.

Dr. Brenda, as she is referred to on her website, is a black Pentecostal female preacher from the United States. Not long after she was ordained about 30
years ago she and her husband were invited to an old, predominantly white, Anglican church in England to talk about how to revitalize their churches. The church leaders recognized the African American churches were thriving while their churches were flagging. She said "God is united people who don't look like each other." She continued to say "this is Kairos time, the right time, set time, pregnant time." God works in Kairos time, not in human time.

"By 2020, whites will be an ethnic minority in the United States. We are God's ambassadors, we must discern Kairos moments." Dr. Brenda pointed to the economic instability in the United States and around the globe. There is a lot of fear in the world, many addictions, feelings of being unsafe, that "the wine has run out." She sees this as a time that the Spirit is nudging us, telling us it is our turn to make change. He exists in all cultures, we should embrace that and work together to make change.  We need help from other people.

The Anglicans asked many questions of Dr. Brenda and Dr. Derek to see how they can change. "Yours is a young and agile church," John Modeford(?) a leader in the Anglican Church said. "Ours is old and arthritic. We need you to wait for us to catch up." At that moment they recognized they are there for each other. Neither one holds the key for the future. 

The Gospel is strong in Africa. They believe God is alive and well. He will work with you. Be free of the spirit of fear. "We are called to a massive leap of faith in these difficult times. Let's work together in this Kairos moment."

I left soon after her talk. While I was enjoying the fellowship and conversation, it was after 9:30 and I knew I still had an hour trek ahead of me -- a bus to the metro to walk to the room, with the uncertainty of how long connections would take. Fortunately I am comfortable navigating Paris by mass transit and had activated my week-long Carte Navigo transportation pass.

After dinner I studied the sign listing when they are open for tours. There was only a 90-minute window of opportunity -- the following morning between 9:30 and 11 AM. I made my plans accordingly.

The church was smaller than I remembered.  


I spoke with the church sexton. He said the church is only open a few hours a week for visitors because the other times they are using the sanctuary for weddings, baptisms, and renewal ceremonies. Even on the Thursday I visited, the church was planning to have four weddings. Mid-week!

The sexton showed me the plaque dedicated to Music Director Fred Gramann on the 40th anniversary of his service. He is now up to 42 years. I played in his bell choir nearly 30 years ago. Unfortunately I did not see him, but I did hear someone practicing the organ. Fred is has published choral and handbell music. I'm sorry our paths did not cross.

I am grateful I was able to go inside. With the race on Sunday, being able to stop by for worship was out. The other option was the concert by a Philippine choir on Friday night, but then I would have had the same issue with getting back to where I was staying late at night. While I have always felt safe in Paris, mass transit is tiring. I made the right call as this way I was able to walk around the nooks and crannies.





I was there when Rev. Duggan was the pastor

No comments:

Post a Comment