Pages

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day 8k

Yesterday a Nor'Easter pummeled through the area bringing lots of rain and cold temperatures. Today the sun was was shining and no rain. What a difference a day makes!
Before
The Mother's Day 8K race was the same route and same after party as the Canal-O'Ween 8K I ran in 2015 -- 2.5 miles up the canal, and 2.5 miles back (roughly).



I had a great pace for the first three miles (or so), then I slowed down to pace Kate, a runner who was struggling. We chatted while doing intervals. By the four mile mark she wanted to stop for water so I kept going.

After
Afterwards we had a feast of scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, and hash browns. A chance to chit chat with other runners. It was a really small race -- less than 50 people. As with the Canal-O-Ween, there was also a 5k option, which I am tempted to do next time. Looking at the stats I would have placed in my age group for the 5k, but missed third place by 25 seconds in the 8k (had I started up earlier in the pack, had I not been sociable, had I pushed myself -- realistically no, since other than at the start, I never saw anyone in my gender near enough to pass).

My time was 54:45, about 13 seconds slower than the Canal-O'Ween.

It was a great way to celebrate Mother's Day. Maybe someday I'll be able to convince my daughter to join me, but I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment