Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Divine Providence

Ashley's religion homework last night was to write about a time you felt divine providence in your life. That might not have been the exact wording, but that was the gist of it.

For purposes of the assignment, Divine Providence was defined as God turning something bad that happened into something good.

We came up with the example of a classmate who broke his arm. Since he couldn't swim, he then joined the drama club and is having a lot of fun with it.

Then we talked about the classmate whose grandfather died, so her grandmother moved across the country to live with her and now they spend more time together.

I tried to come up with personal examples. It is tough to think about bad times in our lives. I thought about the time I was in tears because I did not win the class president election in college. I really wanted to lead the class at reunions (I worked in the alumni office during college). I lost. A couple of years later the school changed its name in a way that was so divisive, even though by then I was on the alumni board, I have hardly ever returned.

More recently I was in tears over not getting a job I really wanted. Still searching for divine providence in those two situations. Certainly, my life ended up going in a different direction. I took a one-month library job that would not have been possible had I accepted either one of those positions. Now I'm planning to apply for librarian positions for next fall.

Back to Ashley. The best we could come up with was the time we had a mice infestation. The exterminator took care of the mice. We adopted two cats (Charlie and Ariel), who give us a lot of amusement.

When have you seen God make lemonade out of lemons?

No comments:

Post a Comment