Pages

Friday, September 30, 2022

A breakfast story

I had some free time near Muhlenberg College so I treated myself to breakfast at Syb's West End Deli. As we left the house before I had a chance to have breakfast I was hungry for breakfast food, specifically for eggs.

Eyeing up the menu I chose the:= Matzoh Brie with onion. I've never had it before, but I like matzoh, brie cheese, and onions. How could I go wrong? This Presbyterian woman was going to try something new. Toot the horns, or blow the shofar. This is monumental. This is exciting. 


This is ... what?

This is a classic Jewish dish, particularly during Passover. It does not contain any brie cheese. Brie (sometimes spelled as brei) refers to the way it is cooked.

Everyone looked at me expectantly as I tried my first bite. They offered me a different meal. The person at the other table (who works there on Sundays) started to smile and said it happens all the time. They offered cinnamon, jelly, and honey to make it palatable. They could not have been nicer.

After trying a few bites, my plate was taken away and replaced my a menu.

The server/customer at the other table suggested the cream cheese scrambled eggs. So I took her advice.

It was delicious. If I find myself back at Muhlenberg in time for breakfast, I'll gladly try this again.

Side note: Ashley worked here for about a month her sophomore year. Working in a deli was not the right match for her.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment