Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2022

Let's Go Thunder

Once again Don bought me a 10-pack of Thunder tickets for me to use throughout the season. It is a very thoughtful gift in that it does encourage me to go to baseball games. It is not a thoughtful gift in that rather than me going to 10 games alone, I feel encouraged to bring the family with me. This year that meant opening game with Ashley and Yoran, and a late season game with Don, Ashley, and Anna. Doing the math, that left three games for me to go to alone. Also, there is no extra money to pay $5 to park at each game. Details, details.

Opening Day


Last year was the craziest season in the history of Trenton Thunder baseball. Rather than attempting to recap it succinctly, read the blog post.

This year was less crazy because they only played 40 home games with the Draft League. The season started strong in June (rather than in April) and ended weak in the last week of August (rather than in September). Opening day the stadium was packed. The skeleton sales team did a great job reaching out to organizations and having groups fill the stands. They continued fan favorite events such as Bark in the Park (once an annual event, this season happening every time there was a home game on a Wednesday), and Hispanic Heritage games.

I had a busy July and did not attend any games. By the time I came back, the stadium felt much emptier than the announced attendance. I could easily sit behind the home dugout and chat with the season ticket holders. I always got a promo, even though I was showing up at the start of the game and they were only for the first 1,000 guests (the stadium seats over 6,000 people). 

The Draft League did what they were supposed to -- many Thunder players were drafted into the Major League system. Those left after the draft deadline in mid-July were offered a couple of hundred dollars a week -- better than nothing, I suppose. That's when the college students who were in it to gain off-season experience had to quit or jeopardize their scholarships. 

Play soured. In one game they lost 29-3, the Crosscutters sent 19 batters to the plate in the first inning and scored 12 runs. Bet some of the players longed for their Little League days when the mercy rule would be implemented. Instead, play continued for nearly 4 hours. I was not at that game, but it was talked about the next time I went. One man who always keeps score gave up and went home in the 4th inning.

As for next year the rumors keep flying. The thought is another year of the Draft League, yet many are hoping for a AA or AAA team and a longer season.

Random pictures from the season. It is all about Boomer, the bat dogs (Rookie and Dash), Tommy the bat boy, and Ezra the entertainer.












No comments:

Post a Comment