Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2022

It Wasn't a God-moment After All ... or was it?

The story as I understood it was my dad broke my mom's prized devilled egg plate. She bought a plastic one as a place holder while searching for a better one. Don embellished the story by saying the plate was a family heirloom from my dad's mom. So when I was at an octogenarian's house and she offered me her devilled egg dish, and I noted the dish looked just like the prized one my dad broke, I accepted it and thanked her profusely.

Fast forward to today.

I brought the dish to my mom and she was pleased to have a replacement dish.

That's where the story should end.

Instead, the dish was not a prized treasure, it was something they bought for a quarter at a rummage sale while in Vero Beach, Florida. It was originally priced at forty cents, but while hemming and hawing, the price came down to twenty-five cents. 

While it is something I remember seeing on my parents' hors-d'oeuvres table, it was a recent acquisition and not a family treasure.

What I thought was a God-moment (seeing a perfect replacement for a treasured plate), will take on a new level of mythology. Maybe that makes it a God-moment after all.

Next time I see the plate at a family function, I really need to take a picture of it to make this post complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment