Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

What a year!

A year ago my best friend Carin died.

What a year it has been!

A year ago yesterday we returned from our 25th anniversary cruise, during which time I learned Carin was in hospice. She died the next morning. 

A year ago today I had a job interview with an organization where I was a volunteer. I did not get the job. 

Life quickly started changing for me after Carin died. 

Later that week I interviewed and landed a six-week temp job with Princeton University. It was exactly what I needed to show me while I was not ready for a full-time position, I was ready to return to a steady job.

That lead to becoming the Director of Development at The Bridge Academy.

I ran my first gala. I ran my first community event. I proved to myself I really can do more than dream about working.

Not sure how, but in September I spent 10 days in France and Belgium. I spent time with host families I lived with when I was 18-years old. I spoke French most of that time, and was understood.

Not sure how, but that led to five weeks in Israel. I proved to myself even though I can't read a word of Hebrew or Arabic, and can only speak less than five words of each, I could communicate with strangers and turn them into friends. I can still hold intelligent (and not-so intelligent) conversations with people.

Not sure how, but we adopted a new bearded dragon. I think how Glinda will never have one of Carin's Taco Tuesdays, like she made for Sandy, but I was willing to open my heart to a new dragon.

I don't run nearly as much as I did a year ago. And, that's okay. But I am keeping my nearly 1,000 day streak of 10,000 steps a day alive.

I now drive a snazzy light blue convertible. I wish I could take Carin for a spin in it.

I've made new friends, but none who will ever replace the hole left by Carin.

I still miss her and her daily encouragement. I still wish she was here. 

I still search for that friend who will send me daily texts/emails/smoke signals and share the ups and downs of senior year and the college search process with me.

It has been quite a year of changes. I wonder what the next year will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment