Pages

Friday, December 21, 2018

Job Hunting After a 16.5 Year Absense

About a year ago I started a push to find steady income. Though there are plenty of benefits to freelance, especially as a parent, the reality was I did not become good at selling myself, and even after finding a client I hated spending so much time begging (or so it felt) to be paid. It had been 15 and a half years since my last permanent position with a steady income. I had a long list of requirements / wishes in a new position. Part of me knew even in November 2017 this would no be an easy search process.

Last November I heard about an entry-level opening at a local library; since I have my library science degree I sent in my resume and was asked to interview for the position. I thought the interview went well, but since then I have honed my interview skills and could have done a lot better, possibly even landing the position. I noticed the same position was available about four months later. No I did not apply again. It was not meant to be.

Spoiler alert: earlier this month I started as the part-time Director of Development for a small school located two miles from my house. The position is everything I dreamed about, and a whole lot more. 

So how did I get to this point and what advice can I offer others?

Some of the advice in what I hope becomes a presentation to a job seekers' group is specific to women, particularly those who landed on the "mommy track." I hope everyone who attends this future presentation can take something away from the talk. For now, this blog post is a space holder for my thoughts. Once asked to make a presentation, I will turn it into a PowerPoint presentation.

Step 1: Identify your goals.

What do you want in a new job? For me, I recognized I wanted a part-time position with a non-profit that I believe in. Ideally I wanted flexible hours. The list morphed over time. I wanted to be able to dress up a bit for work. I wanted something semi-professional. Your goals will be different. They will change. Keep them in mind as you continue to search. There were times I thought I wanted to be a librarian (because I returned to school to become a librarian) and times I wanted to work in development (because that is what I did before leaving professional work). 


Step 2: Get a suit.

You might think "I'm only interested in a part-time position, I don't want to overdress," and to some extent that makes sense. One of my worst interviews happened years ago (ironically for that librarian position that became available again last November). The children's librarian who was interviewing me wore a bathing suit because it was the last day of the summer reading program and she knew she would get wet. I wore a suit. Talk about feeling awkward. I did ask for a second interview when we could both be dressed professionally. The librarian thanked me, but I still didn't get the job.

I used to think it didn't matter. Then I started volunteering at Dress for Success (a point I will return to). Many of the women came through the social services network. As a volunteer I helped dress them in a suit. The transformation was AMAZING! I wanted that Cinderella moment for myself. One week when I had four interviews lined up (none of which I landed) I asked for a suit, and they gave me one. I felt so much more confident on those interviews. I was certain I would land one or more. I was wrong, but the suit still felt great and I did wear it on the interview I did land. I also bought two more suits at Good Will and Dress for Success in case I was called in for a second interview (which I wasn't). 

Dress to impress. You'll notice your posture improving and your confidence rise. I've bumped into friends post-interviews while wearing the suit and people's eyes pop out -- they can't believe it is really me (in a totally good way).


Step 3: Brush up your resume.

Women Dress for Success offers resume help. It is free. Find friends who have jobs in the field you want to enter and send them their resume. Look at your resume. Discuss how you can fill in those gaps in service. 

During my 16.5 year gap I earned a masters degree in library science. I wrote for the local papers. I helped an entrepreneur with her business. I helped authors write books. I volunteered. Some of these random actions became talking points during my interviews.

What have you been doing? Keep revising your resume.


Step 4: Create a freelance business.

It can be mighty fledgling, but it looks nice on the resume to say you created your own business. Even better if you can earn tons of money through it, honestly, though, no one asked me how successful my business was but it gave us something to talk about. One real bonus, is your business will help you establish people you can use as professional references. Much more solid than using people who only know you as a volunteer, though that is also a great way to go.



Step 5: Volunteer.

Volunteering is a great resume builder, or so they say. While volunteering led me to some fabulous interviews, it did not lead me to a job. What you do as a volunteer matters. Find something that fits with what your dream job would entail. Try to avoid anything related to your children or place of worship, though that is where many of us do volunteer. In the end, I focused my volunteering in two places: Dress for Success and Voices of Princeton. The first gave me the confidence I needed. As I helped women, they gave me pep talks and hugs. They helped build me up. The second was a direction I was thinking about pursuing -- recording family histories. It was the focus of my freelance business and a passion.

Volunteering is also cheap as it doesn't cost you anything to do it. You'll get out of the house and meet interesting people.


Step 6: Tell everyone you are looking

This might sound simple, but you'd be surprised how few people do it. Shout it from the rooftops. Blast social media with your search. Tell random strangers. One thing I have heard over and over again at PSG meetings, people land jobs more through word of mouth than applying on job boards (though you have to do that, too, to feel like you are doing something). My story came to a happy ending after I reminded my friends (after many months of not saying anything about my search) that I was still looking. A friend of a friend was surprised I had not already been "snatched up." I told her nope, lots of interviews, but no offers. She sent me two strong leads. The first one I was certain was going to lead to an offer as it ended after 90 minutes with a tour of the facilities. The second led to a preliminary interview on a really hot day in July, and not much over the summer. I wasn't even sure what position I was applying for since they were subdividing a position and didn't know how it would pan out. I followed up a couple of times over the summer. Went on vacations. Then on my birthday in September (now THAT had to be a good sign) I heard their search slowed down and the opening wouldn't happen until December. I wrote back immediately that the timing was perfect for me because I had just started a 7-week temp job at Princeton University and wasn't looking at the moment, but I was still very interested. After the temp position finished I followed up with the school. I had an interview a week later and was offered the job two days later. Wham! When it happens, it happens.

Tell everyone. You never know where the job lead will come from. Likewise, as you hear about openings, share them with people who are better suited than you are. The karma game.


Step 7: Temp

I kicked and screamed and postponed temping for as long as possible, but after enough people suggested I temp as a way to keep going on vacations without ticking off a new employer, I agreed to it. I only had one temp assignment -- 7 weeks in Princeton University's Firestone Library, but it was awesome. I loved being in the library. I loved seeing that I did not want to do that as a career, but really enjoyed it as a temporary position. I realized I wanted more than clerical. I wanted ownership and not just push books from one pile to another. The library is closed to the public and I enjoyed being inside. After the position, I also realized I really only wanted part-time, and shared that with the agency. As I landed the new position a couple of weeks later, I did not go on another temp assignment.


Step 8: The Interviews

While having fun temping and volunteering, try not to forget that your goal is still to land a job. Send out those resumes -- making sure you only apply for positions that are within your goals.

Over the year I sent out 44 resumes and had 20 interviews. At the time I would have been happy with any one of those positions. I realize now, many did not have what this position has. I applied for full-time jobs, and tried to convince employers they don't really need a full-time person. That didn't work. I heard new questions and developed new answers. Interviews show you where your potential weaknesses are. Use the opportunity to figure out better answers for next time. 


Step 9: The thank you note.

I have heard anecdotally people do not always send a thank you note after an interview. Why not? Nowadays you can email a thank you note for timeliness. You have absolutely nothing to lose by sending a thank you note, and everything to lose. Include something that excites you about the position and things you thought about on your drive home. It doesn't have to be long, but it does need to be grammatically correct and within 24-hours.


Step 10: Follow-up.

It is more than okay to follow up periodically with potential future employers. I credit my follow-up skills for landing my new job. Gently remind them and ask where they are in the process. Try not to push when you want to scream at them for taking so long.


Step 11: A story.

Those of us who have fallen on the "mommy track," or have taking time off to take care of aging parents, or military spouses, or any other reason why there is a strange gap in your resume need to prepare a story for why. It doesn't matter your answer, but own it. Don't apologize or over-promise. Be prepared because the question is coming. As you go on interviews and stumble on questions, make notes and be better prepared for next time. And yes, I know I said this already, but it bears repeating.


As my girl is now in high school my friends and I are in the same boat. Some landed jobs seemingly without trying. Some went back to school and then landed a job. Some took a circuitous path like I did -- with soul searching, and roller coaster-like emotions. I tell people if I can do it, and I was super fussy, there is hope for everyone.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment