Pages

Monday, December 31, 2018

City Sidewalks - 2018

Most years we find a chance to go into New York City to see the window displays with millions of our new best friends. Mommy Poppins, a New York City blogger I tend to enjoy, liked the windows a lot more than I did. The pictures featured on the New York Post's site are better than mine (as in less crowded). I wasn't feeling the magic in the windows this year. Possibly because my perennial favorite, Lord & Taylor's, had store closing signs instead of classic holiday scenes.


And this cheesy electronic in another window.



Over the years the window displays have become more interactive and technology-driven than imagination-driven. Makes me almost miss the quaint window displays I saw in Paris department stores in 1990 where the strings were visible -- a technology the windows in NYC had long abandoned by that point.

We were already in New York seeing Head Over Heels, and hoping to get reasonably priced tickets for an evening show, so in-between we walked past windows.

We started with Macy's, which seemed to be the first department store window to become interactive. 









I later read I was supposed to notice all the details in each window. I will admit the ones inside the burrow were cute, and filled with too many details to notice as I tried to stay out of the way of people taking pictures, while also trying to snap a picture without strangers in it.

That's when we turned the corner and faced the disappointment in front of Lord & Taylors. *Sniff sniff* In 1989 Don first told me he loved me in front of B. Altmann's when they were having their last holiday windows (the same as the ones they had the year before). Bitter, not sweet.

The tour continued with a horde of people in front of Saks 5th Avenue. I didn't appreciate the grown-up theme of "women who love to shop." I yearned for the nostalgia of 2017's theme celebrating Snow White. To me the windows looked like advertisements for overpriced wares for sale inside. I suppose the windows are really supposed to be advertisements to buy their merchandise and not free entertainment for people like me who will never go inside their store.



Our "tree picture" took place the day before Thanksgiving when it was much less crowded, but (alas) also unlit.




A view of "the tree" from the crowded other side of 5th Avenue.
















Here we parted. Ashley went to see Kinky Boots. Don went to our seats at King Kong. I raced around to see more windows since I knew we'd all be too tired to make the trek after our shows.

Up to Lexington and 59th to see the Grinch-themed windows at Bloomingdale's. These were probably the closest to what I wanted in windows, but the mention of Whoville Karaoke and take your picture here inter-activeness discouraged me from loving them.








By now I had to hoof it if I wanted to be in my seat before King Kong started. I was loving walking in the City alone and being able to enjoy the sights at my own pace without constantly counting 1..2..3 to make sure the three of us were near each other. Cell phones do help allay my fear of being separated.

On 60th I saw a building advertising French Book Arts. Must look into that another time. Good thing they were closed for the night.


Keep going. Keep going.

Made it back to 5th Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman's windows. There is a lot of detail in each window. Hard to absorb it all.




Tiffany's I saw the month earlier.




And into my seat with five minutes to spare.



No comments:

Post a Comment