Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Caroling, caroling now we go...

'Tis the season to go caroling. Fa la la la la laaaa la la la la.

In the past week I had three opportunities to go caroling. I say opportunities rather than the active "went" caroling because for the most part I did not sing. Instead, I took pictures.

Let me back track, the first caroling event was a week ago following Princeton Theological Seminary's annual Carols of Many Nations service. It is a beautiful service we have enjoyed for many years, and ends with caroling, most likely because they are trying to kick us out of the sanctuary in order to fill it for the next sold out service. The 90-minute services are held at 3:30 pm, 6:30 pm, and 8:30 pm. They have become so popular last year they issued tickets for each service. The free tickets were "sold out" within hours. My parents, Don, Ashley, and I were doing good to get tickets to the 8:30 service. That makes for a long evening on a school night. After the service we waited our turn to be able to exit from the balcony and headed to the car rather than caroling. I didn't even pause to take a picture of everyone caroling in front of Miller Chapel. Some years I have captured one from the round window upstairs, but this year the window looked especially smudgy and I did not.

Three days later Lindsey invited me and a bunch of her friends over for what is

now a seven-year tradition in its current iteration. Friends gather for breakfast before heading out to St. Mary's at Morris Hall (a local nursing home) to spread good cheer. Some come just for breakfast. Some come just for caroling. Most, though, come for both. We sing downstairs before heading upstairs to their Grace Garden Memory Care (as in those whose memories have shifted). My sister, Melissa, kept the group in tune with her violin accompaniment. I took Lindsey's camera (and also used my own) to capture the event.

Sunday Heidi and her family invited us over to see Santa and go caroling. Unlike Lindsey's party, Heidi's friends go outside and carol for their neighbors. As usual we showed up late because first we went to our 5 pm WiNK service. Usually we arrive around the time everyone leaves and have a quick visit with Santa. As they caroled inside, I took pictures, making Heidi quite happy as I did so before I even took off my coat. 



Wonder if more caroling opportunities will present themselves this week.

Merry Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment