Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2022

Covid Booster Shot #5

 

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it ... sign me up as soon as another booster is available. I want Covid to end and this is one way I am willing to help that happen.

Last weekend the CDC approved a booster shot which includes protection against the Omicron variant. Omicron B.1 was first detected in November 2021. Ten months later Omicron B.4 and B.5 have become the dominant variants. This booster protects against the original strain and Omicron B.4 and B.5. To me, it is a no brainer decision. I'm actually surprised when people tell me they are not sure if they are going to get it.

I'm going to lay out some of my thoughts:

1) I have avoided Covid thus far and want to continue doing so.

2) I know people who have recently caught Covid after years of being careful. I have not been careful.

3) I was talking to a woman whose 93-year old mother caught Covid and landed in the hospital for six days with it. A friend's father caught Covid in the hospital and soon died from complications. I do not want to be responsible for someone else getting it and possibly dying.

4) It is covered by insurance (no money out of my pocket).

5) We could time when we would potentially be sick from side effects.

As for the side effects, Don slept most of the next day. I still went for a walk with a friend and book club, but my arm was sore and I had a headache (Tylenol helped with both of those symptoms). It did wear me out. This was my first time having a Moderna booster (the other four shots were with Pfizer). Don has a stronger reaction to Moderna than to Pfizer (his first two shots were with Moderna, then two with Pfizer, now this). 

Who knew the debate between Pfizer vs. Moderna would rival the Coke vs. Pepsi or Stella Artois vs. Jupiler debates? 

No comments:

Post a Comment