Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Hiking the Appalachian Trail

A couple of weeks ago Don and I went on a Fall Foliage hike at the Delaware Water Gap. By sheer luck, we crossed the Appalachian Trail, a fact Don knew, but was news to me.

Let me back up. A month earlier Don and his co-workers hiked trails in this area, but not the exact same trails. We arrived a little later on a really pretty fall day, so we ended up parking further away at the Farview Parking Lot, near where I-80 crosses the Appalachian Trail. We hiked for a few hours in THIS general area, along the Beulahland Trail to the Appalachian Trail to the Red Dot Trail, and back again for fear of taking too long and not being home in time to take Ashley to her friend's house.

It turns out we were about two to three weeks early for seeing fall foliage. That said, last weekend it poured. This weekend is peak in New Jersey, but it is damp, colder, and the sun is hiding behind thick cloud coverage. On the day we went, it was in the 50's and the air had that crisp autumn feel.

Don is much faster at hiking than I am. That should come as no great surprise since he is also a faster runner and cyclist than I am. Fortunately I was able to convince him to hike near me so we could spend time together. Next time, though, he'd prefer the company of his faster co-workers.

The walking stick I found on the trail


 As we started the hike I found this walking stick someone abandoned. It was just what I needed to help me stay steady. My idea of "hiking" is walking and running along the Lawrence Hopewell Trail.

After the hike we went to the Visitor's Center and checked out the Delaware River so we could wave to Pennsylvania. Don is thinking of adding kayaking to his list of athletic skills. I'll stick with running.

Even only hiking a mile (or so) of the Appalachian Trail, I gained a new appreciation for those who hike the entire length in a season. Definitely not one of my dream items. 



No comments:

Post a Comment