Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

CSA

Our CSA is finally open!! 

Half of you are saying "Yay! Mine, too." And half of you are saying "what are you talking about?"

A CSA is "community-supported agriculture."

Again, half of you are saying "Yay!" And half of you are scratching your heads.

It means we pay a local farmer $400 during their slow season, and in return they give us a box of what they grow every single week for about 20 weeks. I know I easily spend $20 a week on veggies. For me, this is a bargain.

Week 1:




You can see on the list we had some choice -- Swiss chard or spinach; leek or beet. The bonus of a potted herb meant I finally have a pot of lavender on my kitchen window sill. The choice of cut herbs means Don will be experimenting with cilantro. The goal is these veggies will encourage us to get our of our comfort zone and try new recipes. 

Ours is Pinelands, located at the major intersection in the Trenton Farmer's Market (next to Halo Farms). By "major intersection" I mean where the two aisles intersect. They could not have been friendlier. Probably not too late to sign up since this is week one.


Week 2:

So far the piles are manageable. I have a feeling as we dive deeper into growing season our bounty will grow each week. Not a fan of radishes and leeks. I do need to explore ways to use each new ingredient.

Week 3:



Week 4:


Week 5:


Week 6:




No comments:

Post a Comment