Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

World Communion Day

God, religion and church hold a very special place in my heart. No date on the church calendar holds as special of a place for me as World Communion Sunday.


The name alone gives me goose bumps. It is often held on the first Sunday in October by many different denominations and congregations throughout the world. It is the one day a year we all celebrate communion.

Now I'll admit, as a kid I thought we all took communion at exactly the same time around the globe and weren't we lucky at my home church that the time coincided with our worship time. I suppose it wasn't until I was in Belgium and our worship time did not change that it all clicked.

Speaking of Belgium, I was in Liege in 1987-88, before the world wide web as we know it existed, yet somehow my host family was thoughtful enough and had the right resources to find an English speaking church for me.

A couple of years later while studying in Paris, World Communion Day took on a new meaning as I realized my boyfriend (now husband) was also celebrating the day at his church, while I worshiped at the American Church of Paris.

When we worship at WINK we take communion every Sunday. I still get goosebumps on the first Sunday in October when I see the global picture of Christians all over the world sharing the Lord's Supper together in a virtual way.

No comments:

Post a Comment