Pages

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

What I missed while in Japan...

We've been home almost a month now. Now that I'm over jet lag I've had some time to think about what I missed most when I was on the other side of the globe.

1) I missed being able to make small talk.

You know the kind of conversation you have with your server or a clerk at store. I felt so inadequate in basic courtesies (such as saying "hello" and "thank you") that there was no way I could master small talk.

2) I missed understanding what was happening around me.

Everyday and every city brought new challenges. On the best of days, I thought of these as clues in a treasure hunt. On the worst of days, I thought of them as obstacles as big as Mt. Everest. 

3) I missed chicken. 

Yes, much has been said about my lack of desire to eat pork again. Or seafood with eyes (though I would be willing to try other kinds of seafood).

4) I missed chocolate.

The Japanese are not big dessert eaters, though we did have a lot of ice cream. I missed my daily dose of dark chocolate, a habit I'm sure I picked up from living in Belgium.


Of course I missed our pets, and our cozy bed. That happens on every trip. The others things I missed were unique to this particular vacation.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm still glad we went. Many good memories were formed. I saw places I never ever thought I would see. Tried foods I never ever thought I would try. Had adventures I never ever dreamed about. It opened my mind up to future trips without *gasp* a stop at Disney. Though I would never rule out a trip to Disneyland Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment