Pages

Friday, February 1, 2013

Contact Lenses

I still remember getting my first pair of contact lenses. I was a freshman in high school and I was ready. I'd worn glasses since I was in the second grade. Back in those days we wore our lenses for 30 days straight without taking them out of our eyes. Ouch! Fortunately by the time I was 29 I made the leap to LASIK, but that's another story for another time.
Ashley is 10 1/2. She has been wearing glasses for over 2 years now. Feels like much longer. When she had her first appointment for glasses, our eye doctor told us about a new study being done on identical twins to try to stunt the decline of nearsighted-ness: bifocal contact lenses.

It is still in a test phase, but the results are promising. 

In a couple of years Ashley went from -1.75 to -3.50. After stumbling around the stage without her glasses, she was ready for contact lenses. 

We talked it through with the eye doctor and decided to give the bifocal contact lenses a try. What is the harm? If it doesn't work, she can always use regular contact lenses. In the meantime, she is part of a tiny test program at our eye doctor's office -- the same eye doctor I have been visiting for nearly 20 years.

How did it go? The first attempts at putting in her lenses were complete failures. We left after an hour (with an eye sore from being poked) and returned a week later.

With a new instructor, and more grit, she was able to get the first lens in within 30 minutes. She left the office with "twarkling" eyes and a huge grin.

(BTW, that is my "ancient" pink phone she is using. It makes calls on the rare occasions it is charged.)
Within a few days, she was able to get her lenses in a matter of a couple of tries. She might never wear glasses again. But if she does, the eye doctor has these gems for her to wear-->



No comments:

Post a Comment