Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Movie Extra for "Poor Earl"


Earlier this month, I did something I have wanted to do for a long time. An older person might call this a "bucket list" item -- I was an extra in a movie. Well, "movie" is a bit of a stretch, I was an extra in a short student film called "Poor Earl." 

This story, as do most stories, has its roots in the past. 

Four years ago I took a similar leap into the unknown. I auditioned for a play with Ashley at Somerset Valley Players. We were cast as the bank examiner (Miss Carter) and the youngest daughter (Zuzu) in "It's a Wonderful Life." It truly was a wonderful time. Besides being on the stage of a community theater production (instead of in the audience), I made a number of friends and found a new home. Now it is Ashley on stage without me, while I work on writing grants and volunteering behind the scenes. 

Two years ago Brian, one of my cast mates, invited me to be a Zombie in his movie "Demon Hunters." Unfortunately the timing did not work out for me (it would have required 10-12 hour commitment 90 minutes north of us on a Saturday or Sunday of the movie director's choice). I even bought a Zombie outfit (clothes from Good Will that I don't care if they are torn or destroyed). Alas, the timing did not work out. I regretted not making it happen.


Fast forward to earlier this month. Along with the rest of the SVP email list, I was asked to be an extra in a student film that would take place at Somerset Valley Players. All I had to do was sit in the audience and pretend to like a show that was not really happening. 

I jumped at the opportunity.

The filming fit within the free school day hours. Don did work from home in the afternoon in case it took longer. I came home the same time as the school bus.

The day was fun. I saw theater friends Carolyn and Theresa. Theresa was the star, along with the actor who played Earl. Carolyn snagged a few lines as the mayor.

We redid each scene a number of times, then repeated each scene more times as it was being filmed with a single camera. 

As far as being an extra goes, this was easy work. We were inside all day sitting in comfy theater seats. The students gave us each one slice of pizza as thanks, and a promise to send us the final product. I hope he gets an A on his project.



No comments:

Post a Comment