Pages

Monday, October 3, 2011

"Good Old Days"


Last weekend Ashley and I were both in the cast of a world premier play! How cool is that! From now on anyone who wants to see how "Queen Juliette" should look or act will study my version. Anyone who wants to know how to be a member of the Cleaning Corps will study videos of Ashley and her friends.

From the start I found the experience (more than a little) intimidating. Not only was I the first one to ever perform this role, but it was written by the director and one of the leads. Surely they know every single line? Surely they have precise opinions as to how the role should be portrayed?

Well, if they did they were kind enough to let me have a lot of leeway in how Juliette should act and interact with the rest of the cast.

This was by far my largest role -- 85 lines, plus I was on stage for most of Act 2 (and a big scene in Act 1). It was also my shortest rehearsal time (2 months) and came while training for a half marathon, while we had two vacations planned, and the beginning of the school year. Complete recipe for disaster!

The show, while coming at a stressful time in our lives, ended up being a lot of fun.

I learned a few things along the way:

1) It is never too early to learn your lines.
2) When you are having trouble SCREAM, don't whisper, someone has been there before you and will be able to help.
3) Don't do community theater during the school year -- no one needs that added stress.
4) One show a year is more than enough for me (I was also in "George Washington Slept Here" this year).

No comments:

Post a Comment