Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2026

Bruce Springsteen Center of American Music (at Monmouth University)

Not quite three months ago, the Bruce Springsteen Center for American Music opened on the campus of Monmouth University in Long Branch, NJ. Looking for something fun to do on my birthday, I suggested to Don that we add it into our already planned walk on the Asbury Park/Ocean Grove boardwalk. The boardwalk stroll has become something of a regular walk for us. So far this year, we went in February to see snow on the beach, on Mother's Day to spend time with Ashley, in July for the Color and Light Festival. It is just over an hour away by car and feels like a complete change of scenery.

I checked their website to see if there were tickets available, then suggested the outing to Don. It has been on our wish list since their June 13, 2026 grand opening. I was pleasantly surprised to see tickets available for every time slot despite it being Labor Day weekend.

By the time we drove to Ocean Grove, waited 30 minutes for lunch, and ate lunch, we arrived at the center with barely two hours to enjoy it. Based on things I had read, I thought that would be enough time. 

I was wrong.

A highlight of the museum (especially locals familiar with the area) is the 25-minute movie narrated by The Boss himself. Filmed over the winter in Asbury Park, it shows Springsteen driving familiar streets in his tiny two-seater convertible with the top up, stopping inside the Casino, a diner, and a record shop to talk about the trajectory of music. I know it was filmed in the winter because I saw snow on the Boardwalk, similar to our February visit.

The first floor has a rotating temporary exhibits in the far corner. We saw the exhibit entitled Chimes of Freedom: Protest, Patriotism, & the Power of Song dedicated to American protest music from 1776, when the patriots sang Yankee Doodle Dandy, to this year's Streets of Minneapolis, written and performed by Springsteen. Our nation has a long history of protest music.

The middle section is a high level room filled with evolution of American music over the centuries. In the Jon Landau American Music Gallery, I noted many of the iconic costumes are from Hard Rock International. The room brings to life the trajectory of American Music that Springsteen talks about in the movie. The roots of rock and roll stem from earlier musical influences including gospel, blues, spirituals, doo wop, jazz, country, hip-hop, etc. Each panel brings back memories. I did not see a Dolly Parton or Taylor Swift costume, both of which would fit in the room. There were a couple of items from Lady Gaga, Cher, and other superstars.

Upstairs on the Columbia records level is the Bruce Springsteen and the E Street
Band room with displays arranged by decade. These are the rooms most Springsteen fans travel to see as if it was a pilgrimage site. Well, to those traveling from afar, it is. People tour the museum, then head to the Shore to see the corner of E Street and 10th Avenue, the Stone Pony, and any other Boss reference they can think of. Inside are his Grammys and even his Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Don's favorite part was the exhibit highlighting Bruce's education, or rather his self-education. There is a table with raised shapes on it that change as Bruce talks about the books that most heavily influenced him. The room feels like a static library with pictures, and glass cases containing some of his influences. I wish I had brought my notebook to jot down titles. Don has always been impressed his wordsmithing, especially
considering he barely survived high school, and only went to the local community college for a semester (where he thrived in Creative Writing, and nothing else).

My big takeaway from the day was that Bruce
Springsteen was a packrat. The items inside the cases are all from his private collection, including keys from mid-level hotels he stayed at during his early tours. I shared a picture of his key collection on social media. Uncle Tom confirmed that was a thing in those days. Mom suggested women threw the hotel keys at him while he was on tour as an invitation. Elizabeth said she worked in a similar level hotel in the late 80s, early 90s, and said they had a key cutter in the back because keys always disappeared. Still, he saved these 50 years later not knowing someday they would be in a museum.

I am glad he saved the cheap notebooks he used to write music. His writing all his songs (seems he has the same process now) shows the evolution from the initial thought through minor changes in wording to the final product. Students will be studying his craft for decades.

In the corner is a room called "Inside the Magic" where his bandmates explain their role in the performance. You can even try to make sounds on a drum, keyboard, etc. It was lonely being in the room by myself. It begs for a group of friends to jam as they learn. Yes, there are headphones so the noise should not become too overwhelming.

A room we spent much too much time in
was "In Concert." On a very large screen a dozen (or so) of her concerts are projected in chronological order. The walls are filled with (silently) screaming fans holding signs and fully engaged in the moment. You can suspend belief and imagine yourself in the room where he is performing. The most recent was earlier in the year at Monmouth University.

In another corner are the archives. When purchasing your ticket you are given the option of archives, or no archives, with a time stamp. That feels intimidating. Both prices are the same. Select with archives. Don't worry about the time stamp unless they are crowded. Inside the room are fan scrapbooks you can touch. They remind me of the scrapbooks I created about my college years. Ones I have not looked at in years. They have newspaper and magazine articles, ticket stubs (remember those?), and other ephemera. There are also screens you can use to do a deeper dive into his music. Just add the archive room even if you only spend a few minutes inside it feeling overwhelmed, as I did.

I also enjoyed the room with famous portraits, such as ones that became album covers.

Downstairs there are large windows filled with proof that Bruce spent time performing at Monmouth University, plus his hard hat showing he was hands on with the building of the center. 

See, you need more than two hours if you want to feel completely immersed in the world of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.



No comments:

Post a Comment