Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2022

Roller Skating Wednesdays

It has been a whirlwind few weeks. I started to write this post on August 10th, suddenly it is August 27th. In the meantime, Jaclyn's roller skating group has received some press from NJ.com and a color spread in the Star Ledger. 

As usual, I am getting ahead of myself.

A few years ago I was a frustrated stay-at-home mom working the gig economy before the gig economy had a name. I posted on Facebook I was looking for other people who worked from home so we could meet someplace and work from home together -- form a group of co-workers, even though we didn't work for the same company. Through that group I met Jaclyn. Jaclyn is a musician who plays flute at weddings and other special events. She was trying to build her business. 

Soon after meeting each other I started to work for The Bridge Academy, and had my own co-workers. We stayed connected on Facebook. 

Not long after we met, Jaclyn decided to take up roller skating. She posted videos of herself and friends skating all over the state. While I was intrigued, I was not courageous. It takes a certain level of confidence to go to an unfamiliar location and try something new. I did not have the energy to drive 60+ minutes, go on skates for the first time in over 15 years and be with strangers.

That was before Covid hit.


Cool line dancing I couldn't do
with my inline skates


Jaclyn -- leader extraoirdinaire


Meanwhile, Jaclyn kept skating. Kept making friends, Kept gaining confidence. Kept looking as if she was having the time of her life.

Through her connections, she learned there is a pavilion at Cadwalder Park in Trenton that has a smooth surface and lots of parking. She went with a friend who filmed her skating there. She invited a few friends. Seemingly each week the group doubled in size, to the point where she realized she had to make it legitimate.

My 20+ year old inline skates

Changes include:

  • Your first week you have to sign a waiver.
  • It is only open to skaters 18 and up.
  • She has a permit, and police presence (and accepts tips to off-set the cost)
  • People chip in for a pot luck.
Jaclyn created a great community. There are people who bought skates for the first time after learning about her group. There are people who have been skating for decades. There are people like me who dusted off our skates to join in the fun.

I think I have only skated once or twice since Ashley was born. If I continue to pick this up, I need to invest in quads. My inline skates are not made for dancing. I do have a couple of leads on skates. Unfortunately they all have a different sizing system.

I have gone twice. The first time I bumped into my neighbor. I was surprised to see her out of context. The following week I saw the art teacher at my school. I was not surprised to see her since I know she is a skater. The second time I left because I wasn't feeling it -- and that was before I saw someone there sporting a hot pink cast on her wrist and learned it was due to falling the week before.

I think I'll keep those wrist guards on, even if I am the only one wearing them.

It was fun. 

I want to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment