Pages

Monday, September 28, 2026

Return to Montpelier

The history of James Madison's Montpelier is learned through a combination of archaeology, written history, and oral history. It is a process that began over three decades ago, not long after the National Trust acquired the property from the DuPont Family in 1987.


My history with Montpelier dates back to 2011 when Don, Ashley, and I took a field trip to Montpelier while I was homeschooling her. If you had asked me that day if I would ever return, I would have said, "nope, been there, done that." Fifteen years later, not only did I return but I stayed for five days. Rereading my post from that day, I see inaccuracies, but I'll press forward or these posts will never get written.

Walking around the grounds I can't say I had moments of recognition. Through archaeology and oral history, the grounds have changed. A few years ago they reconstructed slave quarters that now sit right next to the main house. They recently hung red, white, and blue bunting on the front to honor the newly sworn in American citizens. Mostly, though, I wasn't paying enough attention.

I could not have told 42-year old me that I would return as an avocational archaeologist. Though, 42-year old me did encourage Ashley to become a budding archaeologist.

Pictures from 2011:








One from 2026:



No comments:

Post a Comment