Pages

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Farewell Tour of Florence

It was the beginning of the end of our Italian adventures. We crammed everything into our suitcases -- including Ashley's winter clothes and a couple of small souvenirs. Our AirBNB hostess let us keep our bags with her while the apartment was prepared for their next guests.

A tradition that began after my trip to Cuba in 2015 was that I purchase a postage stamp to serve as a "passport" stamp for Bialashu, Ashley's stuffed panda. I've enjoyed trying to explain to postal workers that I just want a pretty stamp for this booklet, that it won't go anywhere, so the cheaper the better (as long as it is pretty). 

I tried explaining this to a postal worker inside the Uffizi, but she wanted to sell me a regular stamp. Don said to just get it and be done. He doesn't appreciate that part of the fun is the challenge. Inside a big post office I had to get a ticket and wait for my number to be called. The process seemed a bit excessive for a mostly empty room with a half a dozen windows open, but as they also use their post office to pay bills, I can appreciate the desire to send people to the proper window. I missed the first time I was called because I was typing my request into Google translate (what an amazing program). Then I spoke with a clerk. He directed me across the hall to the philatelic office. I wish I had taken a picture of the clerk I talked to! His face lit up when I explained what I wanted to do. He found me a cheap stamp of an orchid for 23 cents (more than a euro cheaper than the first stamp I was offered), which I immediately added to the passport to the delight of the clerk. I have a feeling he shared this story with someone that day. As I was leaving, Don pointed out a 60 cent stamp of David. Well, yes, that would have been more perfect, but he was too late. I don't even know if the stamp was available.

Stepping out of the fancy post office, I bought a change purse for 5 euros that matches my new purse. So far, I'm using the change purse in my regular tiny purse. It fits just right! 

Don tried to find fun socks, but gave up. The ones in his size were not appealing. The ones he liked were not in his size. Tried to find a tiny Vespa for Ashley. We took pictures of the places we saw on our Dark Side of Florence walking tour, this time without the rain.


We met up with Ashley at her favorite sandwich shop. It is still a slow process even without as many junior year abroad parents in line. It was still just as good as the first time we went.

Ashley showed us where she does her homework -- a hidden courtyard inside the American University of Florence building. Indoor tables are for those dining in their restaurant, but it is okay to bring outside food and sit while using their Wi-Fi to do homework. It is a charming oasis. It felt like a glimpse into Ashley's life as a college student. We had heard about the place before, but it took until our last day in Florence to see it.

The courtyard at American University in Florence

Unassuming entrance


Ashley had homework to do, so we hugged good-bye. It was great seeing her as much as we did on our trip.

In an effort to work off some nervous energy about the next part of our trip, we walked A LOT. We went back up to Piazzalle Michelangelo to say good-bye to Florence from up high. We took the path Ashley recommended. No surprise, it was shorter and less steep. I saw a group of maybe 100 high schoolers and their chaperones move into group photo position in less than a minute before handing a cell phone to a random stranger to take their picture. It was quite impressive. I wondered who the group was.

I finally hit tired. Don is feeling back to himself, so he was go go go, while I just wanted to sit and be. The day before he had been tired when we are the Pitti Palace, and I was go go go. 




On our way down the hill we finally stopped in the gift shop near Ashley's apartment. It was just as charming as I thought it would be.

We walked past Pino's one last time.

Walking past the Old Palace we saw a display of antique military cars. They were nice to look at, but I didn't understand the context.


We picked up our bags from Alda and walked across the street to the train station. We were early, but better early than late. The train ride to Milan was uneventful and very smooth. Our seats in business class reclined.



Once in Milan, we walked around the traffic circle to Hotel Garda, our home for the next two nights. It was dated, but clean and convenient. The front desk felt very old school.


No comments:

Post a Comment