Pages

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Vespa Tour

Saturday we headed to the Tuscan countryside for a Vespa tour with Fun in Tuscany. This day was the highlight for Don and Ashley. My highlight took place on Easter.

We gathered in front of a coffee shop about halfway between our apartment and Ashley's apartment, so we met her there. Two tour guides drove us, a couple, and  woman traveling on business to the Chianti region. On the way we stopped at Piazzale Michelangelo for the obligatory picture overlooking Florence. This was our third time here, but our first in daylight.

After posing for pictures we were back in the van for a thirty minute drive. Once we arrived at the vineyard we were each given a Vespa driving test. None of us have ever ridden on a Vespa, let alone driven one. Don did two laps and was deemed good enough to drive on his own. Ashley took a few laps and was good to go. I tried and tried and tried, but I either cranked the gas too hard or too soft and gave up in frustration. 

I was heartened to see I was not the only Vespa test taking failure. Later we had lunch with two college students who dubbed themselves "Passenger Princesses" and embraced riding behind one of the good looking Italian guides. The other mom in the group also embraced riding behind the lead guide -- she had a huge grin on her face as she zipped past everyone with him expertly driving and taking pictures at the same time. I had so much fun watching her infectious happiness. I was happy to ride behind Don, snapping pictures along the way, and enjoying the scenery. Though his first time, he took to it as if it was just a big bicycle.

Comparing notes with the other passengers, it seems we all failed on the orange Vespa. Though, I do think I saw someone riding it, so it might be user error. I'd like to think it is temperamental and maybe someday I can learn this skill. 


We went in a long line to the right, turned around and went past the vineyard. I think this was the last chance to say "this isn't for me!" We then climbed a big hill. Most people flew up it, but Don was cranking the Vespa as fast as it would go and the Vespa was saying "I think I can. I think I can." Meanwhile the lead driver was telling us we had eaten "too much pasta." Bud, not the way to win friends, even if it was in jest.

At the top of the hill we paused to take pictures of the stunning scenery. It really does look as pretty as it does on their ad. The day was brisk and windy, but at least the rain had stopped. In hindsight, we should have taken a group shot on a Vespa with the town behind us as other did, but before I knew it we were back on the Vespas.



An action shot as we were driving



Overall the Vespa riding portion of the afternoon was an hour. Don said it was just the right length of time. He was starting to get tired of driving.

A few more pictures:














13 km ridden at a pace of 20-40 km per hour




No comments:

Post a Comment