Pages

Monday, April 18, 2022

How to Run a Gala During a Pandemic

In 2018 when I was hired to be the Director of Development I was told one of my main responsibilities was to run the annual gala. If I had really appreciated what was involved I might have gone running in the opposite direction! Silly me, I had helped St. Ann's cross the finish line with their gala and thought I could do. 

I was right, I could do it. Doesn't mean I enjoyed doing it!

The 2019 gala was a financial success, but felt like a train wreck by the end of the night. People were kind in their criticism, but there was much to say.

The 2020 gala was cancelled a mere 10 days before the finish line. It was moved to virtual in November 2020.

We didn't even talk about a 2021 gala.

In the fall, 18 months post-pandemic, it was time to contemplate doing it again in person. In one breath I moved forward with the past plan (pick a date and venue, solicit sponsors, order invitations, come up with a theme) and in the next breath I was fretting about what sorts of restrictions should we put in place (require masks? require proof of vaccination?). I quickly learned I had no control over the big questions -- those answers would be dictated by however the pandemic was behaving in April 2022. No about of planning on my part would change that.

So I focused on what changes I could make. I took the approach to press forward and ask forgiveness rather than ask for a group consensus. 

Changes implemented:

* Contact-free check in

* Masks at the front door for those who wanted them

* Online silent auction bidding

* Eliminated the lucky ticket

* Capped the event to between 150 and 160 with only ten at a table (in 2019 we had 17 tables of 12)

* Recorded the student speeches so those at home could see them

* Streamlined the process so less volunteers were needed

* Streamlined the process so everyone could hear the student speeches instead of working during that time

The changes worked. The woman who won a bunch of the lucky ticket prizes was disappointed to see that go (that isn't a good enough reason for me to add it back in). 50/50 ticket sales were up. We have many views on our speeches, which should translate into an increase of people following our Facebook page.

Early indications are we raised more than in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment