Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2021

Hopewell's Turkey Trot

In an effort to motivate myself to go running again, I signed up for the Hopewell 5K Turkey Trot, a race I have done a couple of other times, in 2017 and at least one other time. Last year I ran it virtually, but did not blog about it.

The race started at 9 am. I arrived at 8:50 am and still had a 5 minute walk to pick up my bib and t-shirt., by which time they were singing the National Anthem.

Oops!

I did the walk of shame through the crowd to the other side where I picked up my stuff.

Ann Marie shouted "Hi, Jacquie!"

Gabrielle shouted "Hi, Jacquie!" to which I replied, "I must be late if you are here already!" Gabrielle is known for skating it close to the start line.

There were a lot of people! Today I received the email that said 692 people finished the race! That means even more registered for the event. I don't know how many they have had in the past, but that is a lot of people!

The weather was crisp (about 35 degrees), but not windy -- perfect for running.

finished at 35:00.2. Had I not stopped to snap this picture, I would have made it under 35, or a 11:18 pace.

I did not expect to be even this fast. I've slacked off on running this year, even returned to C25K to remind myself I enjoy running.

I feel as if the course changes each time I do this race. Certainly since the last time a bridge was installed. A bridge that sways so wildly when a herd of runners is crossing at the same time several runners (myself included) had to pause to recover from the motion sickness before continuing.

It was a lot easier to cross the bridge on the return with many less runners. It also helped to know we only had a half mile left until the finish line.


During the race I encountered some "turkeys" -- humans dressed as, and people wearing turkey hats. I was enjoying running too much to pause to take pictures of those.

I'm really glad I was able to get out and race again. May it motivate me to keep on running.

Some more racing pictures...


Much less crowded on the return

Post-race photo with Gabrielle




 



No comments:

Post a Comment