Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2021

The Vaccine

In one week I will be considered "fully vaccinated." That means that I have received both doses of the Pfizer vaccine and have waited the two weeks afterwards for it to take effect.

As I listen to friends on Facebook talk about the vaccine process, I feel compelled to share mine.

In mid-February (about six weeks ago) I made a Facebook post that would change my life: "I'm tempted to have a vaccine appointment as a silent auction item (kidding, not kidding)." Or words to that effect. In mid-February it was very hard to get a vaccine appointment. They were available to health care workers, senior citizens, those working and living in long term care facilities (nursing homes), and those with at least one pre-existing serious health condition. Other states had other lists for eligibility.

My parents received their vaccines in early February (clearly age). They went to Edison, NJ to a site being run by the National Guard. I was then determined for Don and I to receive our doses (pre-existing health conditions). 

The post led a friend to give me a low lottery number in the Atlantic City list. He has since gone on to help over 50 people receive coveted vaccine appointments throughout New Jersey. 

My turn came up for an appointment. I made one for the following Sunday afternoon in Atlantic City. I felt both relieved and guilty -- guilty because there are so many people who qualify who have not been able to schedule appointments. In some cases it is due to computer illiteracy, or because they don't want to travel that far, or because the times available are not good, or the location is sketchy, or because the appointments disappear moments after they become available at a random time on a random site.

Don kindly drove me 100 minutes to Atlantic City, hoping he could convince them to give him an extra dose (they say they don't do that, but I wonder had we waited until the end of the day if he could have scored one). We were early, but ignored the signs saying wait in your car until 15 minutes before your appointment. I would have gladly waited, but really wanted a bathroom first! 

Like the site in Edison, Atlantic City is run by the National Guard. It was extremely smooth. After a quick temperature check, I was pointed in the direction of the registration desk. A guardsman asked for my name (did not ask for identification) and handed me a plastic keycard with a QR code on it. I then went upstairs, down a long hallway, to another queue. At the front of the line I handed the person at the computer entered the code on the card and told me to follow another guardsman. This one led me to one of 20 tables where I was asked a lot of information -- but I was never asked why I thought I deserved a shot. Basically verifying my name, address, date of birth, allergies related to the vaccine, and if I had an autoimmune disorder which would relate to a longer wait. He gave me a card with my name and date of birth on it and passed me to another guardsman, who pointed me to one of 20 tables, this one with Chance who asked which side I wanted (the right, because I sleep on the left side). He quickly jabbed me and sent me to the waiting area. The waiting area had us line up in order of jab so they could time the 15 minutes. After 13 minutes, someone checked in on me and asked me what time and date were best for returning for my second jab. I scheduled for three weeks later, the same date and time of Don's first appointment. I was free to go!




Don and I took advantage of the nice weather to walk the Atlantic City Boardwalk. I wish I could fix the formatting of pictures, but alas. We drove 100 minutes home, with a stop at Mastoris for dinner, where we had just missed Gary, our favorite waiter.

Other than a sore arm, I had no side effects.

Five days later Don was able to get a vaccine at the CURE Arena in Trenton in what could only be described in terms of a drug deal:

"I'd like one of the appointments at the end of your shift."

The volunteer states: "We don't do that, but if you hang out, we'll see what we can do."

Man walks up to volunteer with a clipboard: "Here, start a wait list." Very few people there bumped Don and his past heart surgery to the top of the list. After being jabbed, he was instructed to wait 30 minutes while the cleaning crew literally cleaned up around him and the other stragglers. He asked for a sticker, and they found one. He was told he would receive an email within a week with his follow-up appointment (it came a couple of days later). No choice given, but since it is a 15 minute drive from home, he gladly took it.

Fast forward to my second appointment. The Atlantic City site has been


streamlined. Instead of stopping at the first set of 20 tables to give my name and and information, only to have to repeat my answers at the second set of tables, we passed the first 20 tables to the jabbing station. April kindly gave me my second vaccine, and filled out my vaccine card with a sticker identifying my vaccine information. After another 15 minute wait I was freed. The whole experience (including a stop at the bathroom) took 31 minutes.

Again Don and I walked the boardwalk and celebrated with dinner at Mastoris in Bordentown. This time Gary was there as they are expanding their dining under new rules, therefore his hours have been expanded. Other than sleeping for 10 hours the second night after my vaccine, and a sore arm, I had no side effects.

Don returns this Friday for his second dose of the Moderna vaccine. He is worried about potential side effects. Hopefully they will be minimal.

Joe Biden is asking states to open up vaccines to everyone as of May 1. Hopefully then Ashley can get vaccinated, too.

Meanwhile, my sisters, brother-in-law, and nephew all received their first doses so Easter dinner is on! Each went to a different location with different situation--a CVS, an empty store, a Rite Aid... but the end result is the same -- vaccination!

I do want to add I wish there was a national policy for receiving a vaccine. ONE list of WHO is eligible. ONE website and phone number to call to schedule appointments. In New Jersey Rite Aid, CVS, Walmart, Shop Rite, RWJ hospital, etc. each have their own lists for scheduling appointments. Each state determines who is eligible (in New Jersey smokers were bumped ahead of teachers, making many teachers contemplate taking up smoking to get vaccinated sooner). It feels like Lord of the Flies meets Survivor meets the Hunger Games. May we look back on these few months with shame. I mentioned my frustration to a friend and she said they are working with the system set up under 45 and trying to fix it without scrapping it and creating more chaos. 

May it get better and not worse. Cases are going up about 3,500 a day, while more than 35,000 people a day are being vaccinated in New Jersey. We have about 8.8 million people in the Garden State.

It will get better. It has to get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment