Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2020

Christmas 2020 Preview

While looking for a blog post about Santa Visits through the Years, I stumbled upon one I wrote in 2013 about holiday traditions. Every year there are so many traditions I have enjoyed that we won't be able to enjoy this year -- going into NYC to see The Tree and ride the Holiday Train, "Carols of Many Nations" service at Princeton Theological Seminary, Candlelight Christmas Eve service, seeing plays, and holiday parties.

Even seeing Santa was different. We sat on a bench a couple of feet away from him. Masks off for the pictures, masks on for chatting. It was better than I could have imaged, yet a shade of years past.


I know churches will try to have services, but it is isn't the same as being together and wishing each other a Merry Christmas at midnight.

It isn't safe to go into New York City now (though it felt safe when we went in July and September), so no annual picture in Rockefeller Center. I'll probably be able to find the windows online someplace, which in some ways is better than battling the crowds to see them.

Somerset Valley Players is putting on a Zoom production of "The Christmas Bus." I bought a ticket to support them, but I'll miss seeing friends in person.

The absence of these traditions is making it easier to dream about moving to Westerville, OH. Life goes on without seeing people. Those I make an effort to see I'll be able to see virtually from Ohio (as with those who make an effort to stay in touch with me). Many I'm learning are friends of convenience. When the convenience disappears, so does the need for the friendship. I hope to make new, stronger friends in Ohio. Create new traditions. 

Traditions I can continue to do I wonder if I want to continue. Do I want a tree since we adopted a kitten? Do I want to send out Christmas cards when I don't know what I want to say in the annual newsletter? Do I want to bake cookies when there are no parties to share the cookies? Do I want to decorate when no one but us will see them (even though we often don't entertain and no one else sees our decorations)? What do Don and Ashley want to do or not want to do? Not even sure what to do about presents for Don and Ashley this year, or for anyone else. 

Stay tuned for the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment