Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Blue Angels

About a week ago it was announced the Blue Angels, the elite Navy fleet, would fly along the Delaware River in formation.

Of course we were all told to stay home and watch the action from our homes. Umm...sure. A map was posted along with a schedule. This isn't exactly the type of event that can be seen from your home unless you happen to live along the route.


Don and I looked at the map. Seemed they would fly by Waterfront Park three times. Seemed like a good place to camp out to watch them. 

Oh my! Would you believe it if I said I was not the only one there? When I showed up ten minutes before showtime there back parking lot was filled. Cars were parked half-haphazardly. It was the largest crowd I have been in since shutdown began around March 12. I'll admit, it was a little scary being around so many people. Fortunately it was a beautiful day so I could take the top down and stand inside my own space with my mask on in case someone sneezed.

They flew through once, below the tree line.

A few minutes later, they flew by a second time on our other side. This is when I snapped this picture.

A few more minutes they flew through a third time. Again, below the tree line. I should have left after the second time and avoided the crowd of people leaving.

It was fun seeing everyone's pictures on FaceBook. Some were truly stunning. Others were posts saying "Did I miss it?"

Afterwards someone posted "was this a Trump stunt?"

The write said: 


I work with these men and women through the airshows I do. This was truly from them. The idea, the time. Right now the airshow season is barely hanging on. Logistics and ground participants are hard hit and not able to commit. If they weren't doing this flyover, they would be practicing for an empty crowd. Please don't belittle the crews and planning that went into this. It was HUGE! It's also rare that you EVER see both teams in the same sky. The company I work for pulled it off at Atlantic City years ago, but what a coup!

Sometimes it is worth it to sit back and enjoy the show and not second guess the motives behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment