Pages

Monday, December 4, 2017

No More Newsletter

2010 was the last year we published a newsletter. It was also the launch of this family blog. Coincidence, I think not.

I've enjoyed the freedom of blogging throughout the year vs. a once a year newsletter. Perhaps I spend more time blogging rather than creating the newsletter (though that is debatable), but I like the freedom of not worrying about making it fit or what makes the newsletter. Space was extremely limited. We kept it to both sides of an 8.5x11 in piece of paper. We kept the wording tight. Over the years our friend Debbi and my sister, Rebecca, have proofread the newsletter. No one does that now that I can change things at will in this electronic format.

As friends stress about sending out Christmas cards I can say I do not miss putting out our family newsletter. On the past few years we have taken to creating a mini newsletter, listing highlights from the year and pointing people to the blog for the details and pictures. 

I still receive comments from people about how much they miss our old newsletter, but rather than feel guilt about not writing one I remember these same people do not send out their own family newsletters or find other ways to reach out to us throughout the year. Some are Luddites, but you do not need to use a computer in order to reach out to friends and family. So stop trying to guilt me into bringing back something that took many hours to create, and caused much work with trying to wordsmith it and decide what makes the cut and what doesn't. 

I remember a year that was particularly busy (before we had Ashley and really knew what busy is) when a trip to Europe nearly did not make the cut. We agonized over what made the final version, and more importantly who made the final version. People seemed excited that they made the Pillsbury Press. An event that was not major to us (say sharing a simple meal together) months later might elicit an off-hand comment that they thought they would make the newsletter. Those December events tended to be forgotten because we would write the newsletter in October and November (yes, over two months) to get in the mail by December 1 so we could forget about it for another year. By the following newsletter December seemed too long ago to make the cut. There were two situations where we talked about future events -- a party and an engagement. The day of the party I was sicker than I have ever been -- no chance of standing nor did anyone want those germs. The engagement was broken. When I was pregnant with Ashley, we worded the announcement in code "Bread is not the only thing baking in our house," or words to that extent because we did not want the curse to happen again.

I do enjoy hearing about your news. I love receiving Christmas cards. I enjoy visiting in person and on-line. Whatever way works best for you, please continue to stay in touch. No newsletter required.

No comments:

Post a Comment