Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Fulfilling a Resolution

In 2020 I set resolutions / goals that were quantifiable. At the time I was struggling with what to add to the list. I wanted something that was an easy either I did it or I didn't. After living in Israel for five weeks in 2019, the possibilities felt wide open. Still I made what should have been a slam dunk resolution:

Become a notary.

My logic with this goal was while we have a notary at the school where I work, it would be good to have a back up. I planned to pursue it in March after the gala.

Then the pandemic hit.

The goal sat unfulfilled until earlier this month when I was looking at my to do list and I wondered what I could accomplish. It sort of leapt off at me.

A quick google search showed I had to pay $2.50 to take the notary test (after I promised to read the manual). A class used to be involved, but they scrapped that. The $2.50 fee allowed me to take the test three times. 

Good thing because I failed it the first time (you need an 80/100 and I only scored a 78). The questions were tricky -- ex: true or false: You have to keep records for five years.

Answer: you have to keep your records for ten years. Five is less than 10, so true? Or false because you must keep longer?

The second time I scored an 86/100 and passed. Then I had to (electronically) send it to my legislator, who sent me a congratulatory email later that day and mailed a letter, too. There was another $30 paperwork fee.

Then I had to wait for the official certificate to arrive in the mail so I could make an appointment in Trenton for the swearing in ceremony -- and pay another $15 fee.

Home again I ordered my official stamp so I can get to work notarizing documents. 

Hopefully this post answers the most popular question I've received: what is involved with becoming a notary public. Much hoop jumping and fee paying. 

I wonder what I'll actually get to endorse!

It felt good to finally make a resolution come to fruition. Time to think about my 2023 resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment