Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2022

Canal-o-Ween 5k

When I signed up for RunBucks new Canal-o-Ween 5k it seemed like such a good idea.

When I tested positive for Covid 11 day ago, I thought this was the worst idea ever.

The truth was between the two.

I went with Don who was not up for running, but did want to get out of the house. He walked part of the route and took some pictures along the way. 

I started out a little too fast (for me), then walked, then ran, then met up with Don and walked some more, then picked up my pace, then walked, then ran on the downhills (or rather the down ramps), and hustled on the flat parts. I nearly finished before the 40 minute mark. Ideally I finish around 36 minutes for a 5k, so seeing this is barely post-Covid, I shouldn't complain too much.

A highlight was when the lead runners passed by us slow pokes they offered encouragement and told us we were doing a great job. Aww.... you are 2/3 done, I am not even 1/3 done, but thanks for the vote of confidence!

A funny moment came when I was trying to figure out someone's blue costume as we were crossing the Delaware River. He told me there are SHARKS in the Delaware. I get it ... he was a shark.

I took a lot of pictures, and made friends with Laura, the self-professed Pumpkin Queen. The weather was about 60 and sunny, with a slight breeze. Costumes were encouraged. 


I wisely chose to leave the sweatshirt with Don

The hat didn't last long on my head.

Laura The Pumpkin Queen


Don took pictures

Possibly my favorite running picture ever


The race is an out and back along the canal in Yardley and up and over the Scudders Falls Bridge to New Jersey (and back again). The scenery this time of year is breathtaking. 

The piece de resistance --
done by a local woodworker using tools for clay making
It is called the Canal-o-Ween race because it coincides with Yardley's Canal-o-Ween festivity. Part one of the festivity is carving pumpkins on Sunday afternoon. The pumpkins are moved to the towpath and lit every night for a week so you can stroll along them enjoying the different levels of talent (they are all better than what I can do). 





Overall it was a lot of fun. Pat, the organizer, just asked us to each bring four friends next year. It was so lightly attended I was one of only a few people not garnering a prize (the Pumpkin Queen was another). Better luck next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment