Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Broadway!

At the end of June we celebrated Ashley's new job, and the end of sophomore year of college, with seeing two Broadway shows. The next day I won the lottery to see a third show. I wish it was just a little more convenient to go into NYC, if so, I would see even more shows.

Ashley and I saw the matinee for Paradise Square, an extremely under appreciated musical about the time in New York City's Paradise Square when the freed blacks got along with the Irish immigrants, even marrying each other. The tensions between the groups grew when Abraham Lincoln declared all able-bodied men must be part of the draft, however blacks were not allowed to participate. The Irish resented fighting for the blacks while the blacks were taking their jobs. The emotions were raw. It was told through singing, dancing, and a three-story set that rotated on stage. It had everything a Broadway show should have, except an audience. It closed a couple of weeks after we saw it. 










That evening the three of us saw Don's favorite play, Into the Woods. The Stephen Sondheim classic is enjoying a revival with top performers including Phillipa Sou (Cinderella), Sara Bareillis (The Baker's Wife), and Brian D'Arcy James (The Baker). It was more a staged reading than a full production, which means the set was minimal, but that talent is top notch. They just announced their original 8-week run is being extended through mid-October. They don't know if it will be the same cast.


















The next day I won the Plaza Suite lottery. I had been debating about seeing Plaza Suite. I knew Don and Ashley didn't want to go with me, I knew I didn't want to spend a lot on the ticket, but I also knew I wanted to see Sara Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick on stage playing the lead characters in each of the three scenes. The bring me back to my youth (a theme may be detected if you read enough of my blog posts). As the show was closing soon, and our lives were becoming increasingly busy, I left it to fate: if I won the lottery I would go, if not, I wouldn't.

I won! Don dropped me off at the Princeton Junction train station. I dashed up to the theater, pausing at The Counter to eat dinner the second night in a row. I felt like a regular when Mike, my server, put an iced tea at my place while I went to the bathroom. Big smiles when I explained I won the lottery and was seeing another show.




The last day of the Broadway mask mandate.



Tired, but so happy.

Trying to decide what to see next. Great options out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment