Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2022

The Second Anniversary of COVID

Just before the world shut down I visited Elsie's in Haddonfield, NJ for a pickle sandwich. With hindsight I could feel the world shutting down, though it wouldn't happen in New Jersey for another two weeks. I was feeling an urgency to get out of the house on my own. That weekend (February 29, 2020) I drove 45 minutes for a pickle sandwich. Around that time I went into New York City to see a friend in a show. I also drove to New Brunswick to go to the Cornelius Low House, and to Princeton University to hear a WWII spy talk. I had to get out of the house while I still could.

This started as a post about pickle sandwiches, but quickly morphed into COVID. I'm going to take the detour and make the pickle sandwich story the next post.

Where do we stand two years later?

After a scary round of the Omicron surge where in New Jersey (for example) we went from 1,000 cases a day in late November to 30,000 cases A DAY by the New Year, we are back down to under 1,000 cases a day in early March. Gov. Phil Murphy and President Joe Biden have declared us done with Covid, done with Covid restrictions, and time to move forward.

A month ago we returned to in-person jury duty.

A couple of weeks ago the library reopened to the public.

Last week Town Hall reopened to the public.

Tomorrow schools switch to being mask optional.

In a week and a half Ashley and I are traveling on a mother/daughter trip.

We've eaten out. We've returned to live theater. We've moved forward.

I hope (and pray) the virus has, too.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment