Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Languishing

 A year into the pandemic and a term was coined by the New York Times to describe how many of us are feeling: LANGUISHING. Many of us "feel somewhat joyless and aimless."

Ah, the relief at having a word to describe how I feel and to know I am not alone has pushed me towards a new feeling: BUTTERFLYING, as coined by a friend.

Being fully vaccinated, watching the local COVID cases drop, and getting together with friends again has led me to feel as if I am escaping from the 2020 cocoon. 

It feels nice.

Add in perfect spring weather, surrounding myself with people who have similar feelings, and I feel a cure for languishing is on the horizon.

Then I hear from a friend not as fortunate. Up in Canada friends are starting to receive the first vaccine and are being told they'll have to wait a few months for the second dose. This approach has been very successful in England. May it be just as successful in Canada.

For those of you reading this who are still languishing, hang in there. It can get better.


UPDATE: The day after I wrote this in May 2021 the CDC announced those who have been fully vaccinated no longer need to wear masks! That is a huge psychological boost.


No comments:

Post a Comment