Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2020

RIP Ruby the Honda CRV

The insanity of move-in day ended with Don's 17-year old Honda CRV dying less than two miles from home. Earlier in the day we wondered if Ruby the CRV would pass inspection in October. Of course we have wondered this through the past few biennial inspections.

The list of what is wrong with the car is probably longer than the list of what is right. The air-conditioning died a few years ago. The drivers' side window does not close all the way, neither does the sun roof. The last car (also a Honda CRV) he drove until he was advised to drive without wearing a seat belt and to have a fire extinguisher handy. Yes, we drive our cars into their graves.

As we crossed over I-95 we heard a clunk, which was followed by the check battery light coming on. We still had to to through the jug handle and climb up a big hill followed by right, left, right turns home. Meanwhile the power steering had stopped working. Start praying.

By God's grace we made it through the traffic light without having to wait. He also guided us up the hill. Water mysteriously appeared on the windshield. From the radiator? Followed by some smoke. Steam from the radiator?

Don decided to park in the street in case it caught on fire. He could not open the hood.

I jumped out of the car grabbing everything I could -- the camera, new Muhlenberg shirt, loose items in the car. I don't remember what I grabbed, but I do remember the camera hitting me in the back of the head by my metal barrette when I bent down to pick something up. Ouch! 

The next day we drove back to Muhlenberg to pick up the "Ashley Mobile," the car we left in case she has to do an emergency eviction due to COVID. 

Don spent much of the weekend researching new cars. Hopefully we'll have an announcement soon.

Meanwhile, we are selling Ruby for scrap. She was a good car. Many long trips from Florida to Canada and in-between. She was bought as my car to be able to transport Don and Ashley (in a bucket car seat at the time) at the same time --  a job my beloved Saturn SC Coupe could not handle. When I bought the Corolla (which is now the Ashley Mobile), Don took over the CRV. He is a Honda man.

It was a good car. It made it from car seat to college.

Time for new adventures.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment